'66 Deluxe

Dual Port

Re: '66 Deluxe

Post by Dual Port »

I've got it jacked up, stripped the interior and removed one outrigger today which went smoother than I thought. On closer inspection I'm pleasantly surprised with how good the bottom looks overall, there's nothing underneath that's going to be a tough fix. I shot a ton of pics but they're in my camera at the shop. This should be 6v, right? It "appears" to have a nicely done 12v system in it and I'm wondering if any '66s came with 12v. The 12v regulator and wiring "look" OE to me.

I'm wondering if I can put a '67 harness, TS switch, dash junk and clock into it and convert fully if it's not already. The PO didn't know anything about electrical details but it has a 12v reg and bulbs in it so far. Sorry, Sean!

Deluxes have headliner cloth glued to the inside walls around the windows.
Does anyone have any tips for getting this glued-on headliner off the inside walls of the bus? It's glued on there with some ungodly strong stuff!

Thanks to all and Aaron especially for loaning me a tire and a ton of support.

;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

No need to switch the harness for a 12V conversion 66 and 67 are identical. On a 66 it had a large diameter 6V generator and the reg was mounted on the right side wheel well just like a 67.

Things you need to do it properly
67 only wiper motor - 2 speed with park.
9 pin turn signal relay box - used in bugs and bus till 69
headlight hi/lo relay - it's a cycling latching relay
regulator off the fuel gauge from a 68 and up bug or bus - not really needed but it will make it last longer and be more accurate.
The clock will need a small dropping resistor. The fusible link inside is probably bad and just takes a bit of soldering to repair.

All the other stuff is common bulbs and engine stuff. Do make sure you get 5w lamps for the dome lights, the common 10w bulbs will melt the lenses.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

12V systems were optional on 66 transporters. As far as the headlining material glued to the side walls :lol: :lol: :lol: , Razor knife and a putty knife and a DA and lots of DA paper and a couple days.
Bill
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Thats a sweet winter project!! Keep the pics coming in!!
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Great info Ted..I was looking for some of that myself.
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Full set of pictures:

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc32 ... uxe%20Bus/

That's dirt on the roof, not dents:

It needs rockers, some floor patching but not the whole floor, and outriggers. Roof is virtually perfect, all side window frames are perfect but there is some rust under the windshield. Nose and the rest of the body has almost zero impact damage, only a couple of small bruises that are easily repairable. This is a very restorable bus and will go back red and white, originally titian red and beige.

Big thanks to Josh who stopped by today to give me a hand and pointers in mig welding!

More pictures to come, I will document the whole process.
Attachments
P1210003.JPG
P1140003.JPG
P1010201.JPG
P1010200.JPG
P1010132.JPG
June 30, 2013 (58).JPG
Jan 31 2013 (83).JPG
Jan 31 2013 (72).JPG
Jan 31 2013 (65).JPG
Jan 31 2013 (56).JPG
Jan 31 2013 (41).JPG
Jan 31 2013 (22).JPG
Last edited by Dual Port on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
slayer

Post by slayer »

You have a very nice 13 window!
Excited about the resto. Don't tear it all apart so fast, get it road worthy, put a motor in it, drive it, ok,..enjoy!!!.... and resto little by little!
Last edited by slayer on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

" Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
03 Passat
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

He has 2 or 3 months before you can put it on the streets. There is salt everywhere around these here parts that just eats that precious metal. I can see your point of rolling it, but Bruce seems like a perfectionist and he will probably tear it completely down if I had to guess.
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I'm planning a full gut job and restoration before it goes on the road, it will be 90% accurate to OEM but I might change the colors slightly. Originally Titian (medium dark) red and beige, I'm thinking a slightly brighter red and white. Interior will be all stock, stock wheels and tires, no modifications.

I'm telling people between 6 months and 2 years for it to be roadworthy, I'm thinking 2 months of welding panels, 2 months of bodywork and paint, and then assembly. My work is slow in the winter but will pick up in spring.

PS: What's "not" available to restore this bus? I'll need all door rubbers, full deluxe interior, headliner, door hinge pins, some trim and door handles, etc.

For wiring, I'll need a harness, probably many of the switches in the dash (which seem crusty), turn signals for the front, taillight assy's for the rear, maybe a 12v wiper motor, etc.

Has anyone run into a roadblock with parts that are not repro'd?

Who should I get the interior panels from? ($$$) Are they all available? I'm not a headliner guy, I bet Bill ends up doing that....
Thanks!

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Dual Port wrote:...it will be 90% accurate to OEM...
Some of use will be sure to let you know if it isn't :lol:

Lots of repo stuff out there but DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY! Stuff you think is junk or are replacing, just put in a pile for me :D
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."