Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

Dual Port

Re: Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

Post by Dual Port »

TRL wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 pm Starting to develop a loud bearing-like whine upon cold starts. The noise hangs around for a minute or two until things warm up and I drove down the street. Noise is constant even with the clutch in or out. Am i looking a bad trans bearing or a gland nut bearing? Any ideas friends?
I'm sure you've tried clutch in, clutch out, trans in gear/neutral, etc and it makes no difference. TOBs generally make themselves very well known when they are bad, loosen your clutch adj way out if you think it's the TOB. The TOB is either lightly loaded or not spinning at all when the clutch is out (depending on your clutch adjustment) so I might look over that. Pilot (gland nut) will only howl if the trans is in gear, clutch down, bus not moving. If the clutch pedal is out, the pilot is not working (trans input and FW at same speed).

Try pulling the fan belt off on a cold start to see if it's your gen bearings.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
TRL

Post by TRL »

I did a little test yesterday. Drove the bus to a parking garage for an appointment and parked a way up. Came back to a cold
bus and drove down a level with no engine. A level with trans in gear and clutch down. And another level with engine running. I only get this noise with a cold engine startup. Im just going to point the blame to the straight cut cam gears deciding they were sick of being quiet all the time and want to be herd on cold startups. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!
The Rick Lang
TRL

Post by TRL »

I purchased some tidbits for my engine over the winter. Mostly because Im a sucker with a credit card... A new Gene Berg carb linkage. It has nice return springs, roller bearings, and buttery smooth movement. It bolts onto the fan shroud and took a fair amount of time to get set up and adjusted but so far it really seems to be worth the time and money. Then installed a stock looking serpentine fan belt setup from CB. Not at all nesassary but looking forward to no more belt adjustments or squealing. Finally my favorite addition has been the new CB Magnaspark distributor and modern block coil. The distributor looks to be of excellent quality and its curve and total advance can be adjusted with ease. Ive been seeing this unit being used alot lately and after installing it I see why. Its a great unit. Im looking forward to attending some summer events :)
Attachments
A8362D58-3815-4309-9B9F-51DE61BDC514.jpeg
Gene Berg included candy
Gene Berg included candy
The Rick Lang
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

That one armed fan shroud is sure interesting. What is that vertical mounted unit to the right of the alternator? Some kind of oil distribution system? What's the black horizontal mounted unit right below it? You millennials really know how to cause head scratching. :lol: How's your heat? :lol: :lol:
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Six Volt wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 pm What is that vertical mounted unit to the right of the alternator? Some kind of oil distribution system?

CB oil breather/filler

Six Volt wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 pm What's the black horizontal mounted unit right below it? You millennials really know how to cause head scratching.

Coil

TRL

Post by TRL »

Six Volt wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 pm That one armed fan shroud is sure interesting. What is that vertical mounted unit to the right of the alternator? Some kind of oil distribution system? What's the black horizontal mounted unit right below it? You millennials really know how to cause head scratching. :lol: How's your heat? :lol: :lol:
Haha 1 armed fan should :lol: I was making a engine wiring harness with a 6 pin weather proof connector and didnt put the other fake heater hose on for the picture. The CB breather/oil filler is awesome on a bus during an oil change. Easy oil pouring.
The Rick Lang
TRL

Post by TRL »

This old junky 63 is going to be coming back up… literally.
Stock height all around
E-motorsports Disc brake install
Stock 15” wheels and meaty tires
Plus a few other projects
Stay tuned!
The Rick Lang
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

YEAH. You have until May 28,2022, probable date for Spring Cruise.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

You? Stock height? Me? 12V? :?

Is this the ignition set up you're using?
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2000.htm
TRL

Post by TRL »

Six Volt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:02 am You? Stock height? Me? 12V? :?

Is this the ignition set up you're using?
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2000.htm
That CB kit is the kit I have and I dont like it. Ive had to many problems and Im switching back to a pertronix brand SVDA.
The Rick Lang