Vanagon Conetastrophy

obsoleteman

Re: Vanagon Conetastrophy

Post by obsoleteman »

I see all suggested explanations as plausible.
But, My knee jerk reaction is the shift linkage being struck.
The clean shear is a statement and story in itself.
I have seen cars that had some rather odd damage during my years in a tow truck.
High speed shifts into the wrong gear did sometimes remove flywheels, twist drive shafts, crumble differential components, or even remove complete transmissions (broken from the engine at the bell house) . Some cars crashed.
I fixed a few cars with broken flywheel bolts. But I seldom heard the drivers story.
If you are lucky, it may be that it failed at a weak link with little damage.
I would be anxiously Draining the gear lube for clues.
If you were so lucky to have weak flywheel bolts during an unplanned downshift, you will get to laugh about it some day.
John

Post by John »

Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
Stan

Post by Stan »

Can't find my wallet.
Stan Levine
67 Franken-Beetle
85 Vanagon Riviera
Rob

Post by Rob »

For it is worth, I was an insurance adjuster for 13 years in the property and casualty field, you more than likely have coverage for this loss if you have collision coverage on your Auto Policy. Of course it would be subject to a ded. so if it is less than that mute point.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Trying to get caught up on my postings, The Levine Vanagon has been repaired, Engine rebuilt, replaced crankshaft & flywheel, new bearings, seals etc... Transaxle tore down & inspected and 3-4 slider hub upgraded,ImageShort block on stand awaiting piston removal
ImageWater pump wrist pin access holeImageAgainImage One of the 4 rolled waterjacket o-ringsImageImageImageImageWrist pin waiting for extractionImageCleaned & prepped engine case ready for reassemblyImage InternalsImageHeads & cylindersImage Rods hungImageGears on crankshaftImageO-ring washer and pulley key installedImageNew cam bearings, double thrustImageChecking the fit on the camshaft, We have had some issues with cam bearings of late, Check them first!Image Crankshaft in caseImageThen the camshaftImageCam plug
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Image Cam timing confirmedImageOther case half ready for reassemblyImageCuril K2 sealantImageMatedImageImage One of the main case studs, inside the water jacketImageCap nuts with special yellow sealantImageWrist pin installation/removal toolImagePiston in cylinderImageNew o-ring with lubeImage Piston skirt ready for installationImageWrist pin being installed through water jacket portImageImage
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

ImageImage45 degree Knipex retaining ring pliersImageCylinder head, slightly abusedImageReady for cylinder head, water jacket gasket installed with sealant,head gaskets in place, pushrod tubes installedImageImageImageHead installedImageRepeatImageWater pump & thermostat housing (1.9 liter type)ImagePushrods & rockersImageCrossover pipes & dipstick tube, more to follow
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Nice work Chuck and we'll documented of course.
Cheers
TRL

Post by TRL »

I would like to point out those perfectly stretched out pushrod tubes! :lol:
The Rick Lang
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

ImageImageImageImageImageOff the engine stand, installing flywheelImageImageConfirming initial endplay (.09mm)ImageMain seal installedImageFlywheel installed checking final endplayImageImageFinal endplay (.08mm)ImageClutch & pressure plate installed, Engine complete.