2018 Tune Up Day - May 12th

John

Re: 2018 Tune Up Day - May 12th

Post by John »

It's not in the cards for me to attend tune-up Day this year, but I do have a couple of questions.
Has anyone come up with a starter that will last for more than 500 starts?
Also I put the battery charger on my bus overnight, went out to the garage in the morning the garage smell like sulfur very heavy odor of,I don't believe I've ever had this issue what is it?
I really do not think anything's wrong with the battery it's the starter again and again and again and again.
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
Marla

Post by Marla »

Sorry you couldn't make it John. Hopefully someone can help you with your issues.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Flamingo

Post by Flamingo »

I just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out today. And apologize for my spazzyness... followed by a slight nervous breakdown 😂 I wouldn't wish replacing window rubber on my worse enemy!
I don't weld. I don't fabricate. And I can't even fix most of the things I break. But I do have niche-iness to offer. You're welcome.
Six Volt

Tune Up Day 2018

Post by Six Volt »

Many thanks to Bruce and Pat for extending their hospitality to the group for the annual tune up day. I arrived late, so I have no idea of the early morning shenanigans. As if if there were any! :lol:

One of the best things about Tune up Day, besides actually doing something to your rig, is reconnecting with fellow VW enthusiasts that you haven't seen over the winter. All of us are older and some of us (me) are even grayer and fatter. :P

So after a busy morning, I fired up the Lurchmobile and headed out to Bruce's shop. In less than a mile I encountered this alien craft.
IMG_2211.jpg
WTF? When did folks from the Jersey shore or Floriduh move to West Park?

Anyway, upon arrival I found the usual suspects engaged in plenty of conversation and only a little work!
IMG_2216.jpg
Spent some time talking with Will and Keith. Will is in the middle of a major project. He needs to start a thread on that! :D It's always great when Aaron shows up. Even when wearing a Monkey Nut shirt instead of rockin' Widefive gear. We'll work on his marketing skills. :D

Matt Keith had a day pass. Great to see him! There was a lot of activity around Marla's bus. My takeaway? A centermount antenna can reek havoc on your windshield wipers! :lol: She got it sorted out.
IMG_2217.jpg
Chuck took care of Phylis's headlight problem.
IMG_2218.jpg
As much as I want to separate from the Lurchmobile, I got talked into fixing a couple things I've complained about. Two big ones were the "slop" in the shifter and the headlight that's "out", but not dead.

Thanks to Bruce, Chuck and Bill both are fixed. Bill provided me with a front bushing to "cure the slop" and then said why not do it? Bruce has a lift and you have the part, so let's go!

Bruce stepped in and with some pointers from Chuck on "baynomics" he had the shifter shifting in no time. (The double entendre references in this thread may reach an all time high! :oops:)

First take out the shifter.
IMG_2230.jpg
The pedal pan underneath has to come off so you have access.
IMG_2221.jpg
My bushing was missing so the rod pierced the hole in an unregulated manner.
IMG_2222.jpg
The screw on the coupler has to be removed to release the two parts so the rod can be removed.
IMG_2223.jpg
Bruce asked if we have any leaking gas. Why no, what could go wrong? :shock:
IMG_2224.jpg
In the end Bruce cleaned up the shifter plate and Dan (Lurch) adjusted it after a short ride.
IMG_2229.jpg
Bruce then fixed both headlights by chasing down the bad grounds at the fuse box. Memo to all: "Clean your grounds and electrical connections." Disconnect the battery!

To everyone who came that I failed to mention, it was great to see each and everyone of you. LEAKOIL is a great group because of each and every one of you! See you at the next third Thursday or at the MetroParks cruise. :D

[attachment=3]IMG_2228.jpg[/attachmen]
Attachments
IMG_2232.jpg
Marla

Post by Marla »

Great Re-cap Sean! It was great to see so may come out for the day. Big Thanks to Bruce and Pat for hosting the event. The weather held out for us once again.

Thanks to Dan and TRL for helping with my antenna install. Great teamwork and supervision from many. We had some bumps but they didn't give up. TRL stuck it out to get my wipers back in order which really helped for the rainy ride home. :) I hope I never have to touch the wiper motor and linkage again.

Here are some photos to share. If you took any pics post them up here.
Attachments
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Frankinbus

Post by Frankinbus »

i was on my way up when my small oil leak turned into a bigger oil leak. seems to be coming from the fuel pump base. took it apart, cleaned old gasket and sealant and ordered new gaskets. hope it is the problem.
65 11 window bus
2012 turbo beetle
1964 berry mini t buggy
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Always my favorite LEAKOIL event. Maybe because it's the only one I go to :lol:

Great catching up with everyone after the long Winter! Was too busy laughing and having fun to take many pictures, but snapped these two.

Managed to catch Dan's best side :D
IMG_20180512_194948_714.jpg
Bruce with his favorite wrench.
IMG_20180512_194948_715.jpg
Thanks to everyone that puts this event together and to everyone that attends!
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
pjlevine

Post by pjlevine »

Thank you to Pat, Bruce, Pam and Bill and Marla! It was so pleasant sitting and chatting in the shade of Bruce's garage, eating donuts and hot dogs and getting my headlight fixed! (Thanks Chuck!)