WTB: Late Bay (78) Engine Compartment Items

Don from Canton

WTB: Late Bay (78) Engine Compartment Items

Post by Don from Canton »

Well, this is an embarrassment. After many months, I thought I finally had my Bus back on the road with its rebuilt engine fully sorted. Actually, it was on the road, briefly. Somebody (me) forgot to tighten one of the fuel line hose clamps on the cold start valve. There were no gas leaks or smell during the initial startup or the maiden voyage, but on the second drive, it started leaking and a fire ensued. Luckily, it was quickly put out, but there's still a fair amount of damage. At this point, my list of needed items includes:

- 7-Pin FI Wiring Harness
- Heater Blower, plug, and wiring
- Taillight Wiring Harness
- Oil Breather Box
- Large rigid hose from the plenum to the decel valve
- Small rigid vacuum hoses to distributor, fuel pressure regulator, etc.
- Fan guard screen
- Evap system hose tee near the driver's side taillight
- Fiberboard panels on the top of the engine compartment
- Access hatch cover insulation

Please let me know if you have any of these items in good condition that you'd be willing to part with.

Check your fuel lines and clamps!!!!!!

What a year it's been......
fire.jpg
Don

Re: WTB: Late Bay (78) Engine Compartment Items

Post by Six Volt »

Bummer, but at least no one got hurt and you didn't lose the bus.

As long as you're not in a hurry, I might be able to help. While looking for oil coolers, I came accross a couple of containers of FI crap. I thought I might have a FI harness, but it could be an earlier 6 pin or Chuck took it! :lol: Anyway, its too hot up in that garage and I'm pretty busy, but if I get a chance to look at what I might have I will take a peak before you waste your time driving to the WP.
IMG_4933.jpg
IMG_4934.jpg
Don from Canton

Six Volt wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:22 pm Bummer, but at least no one got hurt and you didn't lose the bus.

As long as you're not in a hurry, I might be able to help. While looking for oil coolers, I came accross a couple of containers of FI crap. I thought I might have a FI harness, but it could be an earlier 6 pin or Chuck took it! :lol: Anyway, its too hot up in that garage and I'm pretty busy, but if I get a chance to look at what I might have I will take a peak before you waste your time driving to the WP.
Thanks Sean! That would be greatly appreciated (Years ago, I think you gave me that FI harness you mentioned - but it's a 6-pin.)
Don

Post by WideFive »

Dayum! Glad you got it put out!
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ditto, really glad you got it put out! Good reminder to check fuel lines and carry a good fire extinguisher.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!
Don from Canton

I ended up making an insurance claim. The settlement amount was generous enough to fund a new FI harness from Kyle, plus all of the other items either new from Bus Depot or used from Ken at BusCo in Washington. I've got everything I need now.
Don