Dale Robertson

wwebner

Dale Robertson

Post by wwebner »

I just received word that Dale Roberson of Dale's Karr Parts, a long time west side VW repair shop,passed in his sleep the other night. Dale kept hundreds of VWs on the road for Clevelanders for many years. Dale will be surely missed. Our prayers go out to Dale's family.
ohiowesty

Re: Dale Roberson

Post by ohiowesty »

Sorry to hear that. When I got my bus I went by his shop but he was already having health problems so I never got to meet him.
Marla

Post by Marla »

So sorry to hear this. He was very nice and helped me out with both of my cars when I first got them. He really enjoyed talking about the VW's.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

DALE ROBERTSON, 60, devoted father of Dale (Tristan); former husband of Debra (nee Vance); loving grandfather of Brooklynn; beloved son of Imogene (nee Cates) and the late J.C. Robertson; dear brother of Terry (Debbie) Robertson, Sherry Ruchon (deceased), Charles (Jen) Robertson, and Darlene (Kenneth) Voigt; loving uncle. The family will receive friends FRIDAY 4-8 PM AT WALTER MARTENS & SONS 9811 DENISON AVE. (PARKING ENTRANCE OFF W. 99 ST.). Graveside services Saturday at 10 AM at Riverside Cemetery 3607 Pearl Rd. (North of Denison). Please meet inside front gate by 9:45 AM.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Did anyone know Dale's childhood? I never met the man. There was a Dale Robertson in my Auto Mechanics class at Valley Forge High in Parma, he lived off of York Road in the 70's. He should have been about my age, 57-58, and his dad's name was Dale too, a Ford dealer mechanic. It seems coincidental as they both have the same name and vocation and about the same age. I lost track of the Dale I knew after graduation. I wonder if it is him all this time and I didn't know it?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Six Volt

Re: Dale Robertson

Post by Six Volt »

Sorry for not responding earlier. At age 60, I'm no stranger to death. But this one was a bit more personal than most.

I'm happy I got to know Dale. I had a great relationship wth him. We talked pretty much everyday. I appreciated going to his shop. Usually 2 or 3 times a week. I went there as often as I could. We were close friends for 20 years. That friendship was a cathartic experience for me. When you spend a lot of time around people who think they're important, (and believe me I'm around people who think they're important) its nice to spend time with someone who really is important. Dale and his shop was a sort of connection to reality for me. It brought the common man reality into focus for me everyday. As a result, I'd like to think I made better, well reasoned, and more sensitive decisions. I owe that to Dale.

We talked about life, politics, our sons, the government, zoning regulations, city inspectors, soup, the best winter boots, women, wives, customers, criminals, ice cream, growing up, old girlfriends, past jobs, music, his granddaughter (Brooklyn), Micky Mouse and countless other topics too numerous to mention here. And yes, we talked about VW's, and he sometimes laughed at my efforts as much as you do. Nevertheless, he never stopped encouraging me or offering advice.

Dale's shop wasn't about pristine or collector autos. He would work on them, but that wasn't his interest or forte. Dale kept cars on the road for folks that had little or no money. Does your 100,000 mile Jetta need a timing belt? Dealer wants a fortune? Dale will do it cheap and do it right. He would call Mick from Euclid Foreign almost everyday for parts. Mick was great. They would give each other the "business". I know Mick feels like I do. Dale loved Mick.

I saw Dale and talked to Dale during the week before he passed. He was in good spirits. His health wasn't the best, but he had a great attitude.

There's one story from the Friday before he died that people should know. My friend Terry Karl was there and he told me about it. It was the last day Dale was at his shop. A guy called seeking advice about a radiator problem on a Jetta. Dale kept explaining to the guy that it just might need some fluid, but it would cost $23 dollars to fill it. That was just the cost of the fluid. It was obvious the guy either didn't have money or didn't want to pay. Finally, Dale told the guy to just bring it down to the shop. The guy did and Dale filled the radiator and confirmed no leak. When the guy asked about paying Dale said: "Don't worry about it", and sent the guy on his way. That was Dale's last customer. He took money out of his own pocket and gave it to someone who likely needed it.

As to Dale's past. Dale graduated from West Tech class of 1974. he worked at a REXAL drug store on Broadview when he was young.He loved that job. He ended up working on VW's at Steve's VW down on W. 92nd. Some may remember it was the place with the VW bug on the roof of the building. Dale actually owned the bug on the roof. He left there and started a VW business with a partner named John. Dale eventually bought John out and Jim came and worked with Dale for 20 years at Dale's VW.

Tomorrow I will bury my friend. Going forward, I'll miss Dale everyday. Nevertheless, I'm a better person for knowing him. I am truly blessed.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Beautiful picture.
Stan Levine
67 Franken-Beetle
85 Vanagon Riviera
Ken

Post by Ken »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is a photo of Dale, his wife?, and TV Personality Robin Swaboda taken at the 2009 Oktoberfest.
IMG_0574.JPG-Dale.JPG
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab