Tom Kern

Hapybus

Tom Kern

Post by Hapybus »

I assume a few of you know Tom Kern from Columbus, and knew Tom was fighting cancer.... Tom left us on Saturday.
There will be a celebration of Toms life Thursday in Columbus...

from Toms Brother.......
This is Tom's brother with info about the arrangements. There will be no service. Instead there will be a wake at Westies, 940 South Front St, this coming Thursday between 5-8pm.
Hapybus

Tom Kern

Post by Hapybus »

Tom left us on Saturday. There will be a celebration of Toms life on Thursday in Columbus....

from Toms Brother.......
This is Tom's brother with info about the arrangements. There will be no service. Instead there will be a wake at Westies, 940 South Front St, this coming Thursday between 5-8pm.
Marla

Re: Tom Kern

Post by Marla »

So sorry to hear this...

It was great to sit by a fire with him on the few occasions that I did.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
obsoleteman

Post by obsoleteman »

Tom Kern will be deeply missed. He was one of the kind, caring, gentle people in the club who always knew how to make others feel welcomed. Tom was emblematic of why people want to belong to a club. He really knew how to be a friend...Always one of the best.
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

You'll be missed Tom
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

I had know Tom for many years.He had atended KI since before the 4H.He will be missed by all of us. Rest in peace Tom.
Bill &Pam
Ken

Post by Ken »

Tom was always one of the true gentlemen of the VW community. He will be missed by all.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Tom was a great guy. An incredible VW enthusiast. While I didn't know him as well as some, I had many great interactions with him at the Columbus shows and some of the LEAKOIL events over the years. In late February, Tom, Bill Webner, Randy (Rooster) and myself had a chance to meet for lunch. Little did we all know it would be our last meeting. Tom was the consumate friend to all VW owners and a true VW enthusiast and a walking VW encyclopedia.

I don't think Tom would have made it to that lunch except for Randy bringing him, but nevertheless, Tom was full of spirit and VW knowedge and discussion. Little did we all know that woud be it for those of us who were there, but Tom left as he lived. He expressed passion and commitment to the love he had for VW's.

We all pass through this world, and Tom was a special person for the VW community during his passage. He was a great person. I will never forget that last lunch or him at the 1st Mohican Advenure and all those times I saw him at those Columbus shows. RIP Tom. You were a great person and a great VW enthusiast.
Howie

Post by Howie »

I met Tom around 2007/08 at KI while he was camped nearby me. I was admiring his home made bus awning that he built from scratch parts from stuff that he had Junk-Picked. It looked darn good to me! We spent the better part of an afternoon tipping a few Cold Ones, and discussing, "Improvising With Found Materials". I learned a lot from Tom, and I truly miss him! :(
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

This is a sketch that Tom did for us for KI a few years ago. Chucks daughter
blew it up and made us a few poster sized copies which Tom signed and we offered in the silent auction.
Tom Kern sketch.tif