Safety Warning

Dual Port

Safety Warning

Post by Dual Port »

I helped John and Rob install an engine in Rob's Thing the other day at Rob's house. It was pretty uneventful until Rob turned the key and the battery exploded. John was standing near the battery and was sprayed with acid and got a cut on his finger from shrapnel. I was standing behind the car (with my safety glasses on) and was not near the problem. Rob was in the driver's seat and uninjured. We pushed the car outside and hosed it off well with no serious damage done. I've had several batteries explode, maybe one every decade or so. This is why I wear safety glasses in the shop. :geek:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
TRL

Re: Safety Warning

Post by TRL »

I have also seen a battery burst. Crazy stuff! I hope everyone and everything is ok!
The Rick Lang
douge

Post by douge »

Hydrogen gas & a spark = KAPOWIE!!!!! I've been fortunate, in a lifetime of auto repair, I've only been close enough to hear one of these explode. I'm careful to have a battery charger OFF when connecting & disconnecting to a battery.
64 camper bus
65 Bug cal look
sand rail / wooded acres service vehicle
pjlevine

Post by pjlevine »

What a scare! Hope Rob is doing okay. Thanks for the info, I'll be more respectful of batteries!
Marla

Post by Marla »

what causes a battery to explode like that? Are there warnings signs to look for?
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
TRL

Post by TRL »

Marla wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 pm what causes a battery to explode like that? Are there warnings signs to look for?
In laymans terms the chemical reaction inside of the battery produces a flammable gas. If said gas where to accumlate in an odd way and a spark is added, you get an explosion.

I believe older batteries are more susceptible to this condition. There is more science behind it that someone else can elaborate on. Basically be extra careful to avoid creating sparks during or after jumping a battery, charging one, or while a battery is under load as these big movements of power make more flammable gas.

But someone please correct me if Im wrong!
The Rick Lang
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Who are John & Rob?
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Rick pretty much nailed it. I don't run my batteries to the end, I change them at 4 years old in all of my cars. Running an old weak battery stresses the starter and gen/alt as well as other problems. Repeated cycling of a battery's state of charge from full to dead and overcharging a battery will also contribute to causing safety issues like this.

Rob was at Mohican with his family and his Vanagon Westy, they had a riverfront site right across the driveway from us. John has many Vanagons and a Beetle, he's been to events and you'd recognize him if you saw him. They both live near me, I've known John for decades.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Chuck will take his old exploded Battery. "It's Fine"
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
TRL

Post by TRL »

CraigOnTheBoat wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:44 am Chuck will take his old exploded Battery. "It's Fine"
It’s 18 years old! It’s fine!
The Rick Lang