lunabus intro

Lunabus

lunabus intro

Post by Lunabus »

Bill suggested the members projects page would be a good place for introductions...So after a year and a half of looking we were able to buy our original owner, 71 transporter bus. while the journey was fun,interesting and at times discouraging its nice to finally have our first air-cooled VW! Lunabus was previously owned by a top notch engineer in the Apollo program who helped land the first men on the moon. He and his family drove this bus to Alaska 8 times his last was when he and his wife were well into their 80's he said that "if people would risked their lives to land on the moon'',he could certainly drive an air-cooled bus to Alaska.I'll have to keep that in mind once we get Luna sorted out ha.On sorting Luna out nothing too unusual you know the basics.Can't get it to time because you have a bunch of scatter and the dizzy wont hold a dwell yea that puppys wore out bigtime .Seems to be running a little hot and smells like burning toast? what do you mean rodents will build a nest in the tins. unclogged the heat riser on the intake manifold that was fun.Resealed motor and rebuilt the carb,a nice introduction to german engineering oh boy.express cleaned the carb enough to finally convince myself to address the rust in the tank later this winter...well thats all for now hope to eventually meet some of you and post up some of the interior buildout we did.
Cheers
Greg and Landy
Attachments
20210617_142355.jpg
20210617_142340.jpg
wwebner

Re: lunabus intro

Post by wwebner »

Great story. I had s customer quite a few years ago who also drove his bus to Alaska several times, he was also in his 80s. Don't recall his name. Did this bus come from Cleveland area?
Lunabus

Post by Lunabus »

Yes North Olmsted, They purchased it new at Dragan Sideras VW on Lorain ave.Its interesting going over a lifetime of memories from the tower family roadtrips.the son gave us boxes of receipts for mechanical work done,all the maps of their roadtrips and several front page articles about the families journeys. An inspiration for sure.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

That's the guy. I did work on that bus. Now that I know the name, I will look up what was done and when.
Marla

Post by Marla »

Great looking bus!
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Lunabus

Post by Lunabus »

wwebner wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:08 pm That's the guy. I did work on that bus. Now that I know the name, I will look up what was done and when.
That would be awsome,thanks so much!