Basement Project

Karl Kombi

Basement Project

Post by Karl Kombi »

This was a miniature project I could do in the basement. Last Fall, I got a Pierburg fuel pump at a swap meet. Then, about two weeks later when I was cleaning out my garage, I found two more -- probably from about 35 years ago. I decided to buy one of the WW rebuild kits that everyone complains about to see if they really are as crappy as people say. So, a little while ago, I rebuilt one of the pumps in the warmth of my basement -- figuring that the cheap pump I have in the bus will eventually jettison the lever arm shaft.

Pump before disassembly.
Pump 1.jpg

How the lever arm engages the diaphragm pull-rod (sorry about the photo):
Pump 2.jpg

Disassembled: The only parts I ended up replacing were the main diaphragm, the cut-off diaphragm with spring, the filter, and the lever arm spring. Everything else didn't need replacing or was not properly functional from the kit.
Pump 3.jpg

The kit.
Pump 4.jpg

The replacement diaphragm and spring looked identical to the original, bit I've heard that the new spring is too stiff and results in fuel pressure that's too high. So, I took the springs off and compared -- the new one was definitely stronger, so I cleaned up the original and put it on the new diaphragm.
Pump 7.jpg

Original spring on right:
Pump 6.jpg

The new diaphragm/old spring connected to lever arm/shaft after casting surface for the diaphragm was cleaned. I used the new spring for the lever arm.
Pump 8.jpg

I used the original shaft, because the new one was too large for both original and new e-clips! The problem was, the new e-clips were too large for the original shaft, and the original e-clips were sprung (probably from removing and reinstalling). So, I used new 4mm clips I had in my stash.

Left: New from kit (way too large); Center: Original (slightly loose); Right: New (good fit)
Pump 9.5.jpg
Last edited by Karl Kombi on Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Kombi

Re: Basement Project

Post by Karl Kombi »

This is my version of the tool to preload the diaphragm down 14mm.
Pump 9 (2).jpg
Pump 10.jpg

At 14mm, the diaphragm pulled down too far -- the holes in the diaphragm were inward of the holes in the pump base. There was no way the housing could clamp the diaphragm properly. I backed it off to 12mm, and the holes lined up.
Pump 11.jpg

The cut-off diaphragm and spring looked and felt identical, so I used the new ones.
Pump 13.jpg

Everything assembled. I'll fill the lower part with grease and try it in the bus if it ever warms up -- probably watching it leak like a sieve. I'll have Jackie stand by with the fire extinguisher. :lol:
Pump 14.jpg
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Nice job! I'm sure it will be fine. ;)

Conflict tomorrow, won't make TT. :(
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Karl Kombi

Post by Karl Kombi »

Dual Port wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:26 am Nice job! I'm sure it will be fine. ;)

Conflict tomorrow, won't make TT. :(
Thanks. See you next time -- possibly when it's warmer!
Marla

Post by Marla »

Great write up and photos!
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)