1957 Oval

Dual Port

Re: 1957 Oval

Post by Dual Port »

Six Volt wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 am I really can't thank Bruce enough for what he's done.

emoticon-thumb-up-dollar-sign-eyes-19893989.jpg
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Hey, everything in life has a price and I don't complain about paying for value! :D
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Memo to Sean: Before crying about parts you don't have, check your stash. I think we'll find one useable oil pressure switch/sensor. The upper right one looks like late oval.
IMG_1011.jpg
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Bruce, no idea what would cause the brake fluid to look like that. Might be leaching whatever was in the reservoir last time.

Here is how the throttle tube and return spring should be.
throttle.jpg
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

toolbox wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 pm Bruce, no idea what would cause the brake fluid to look like that. Might be leaching whatever was in the reservoir last time.

Here is how the throttle tube and return spring should be.

throttle.jpg
Thanks Ted. But that reservoir was a new replacement for the replacement dual master. It was brand new right out of the box. I never even took the cover off. More reason to drive a car and not let it sit.

As for the carb linkage, that's on me. I don't know how much Bruce has been around the 36HP or 40HP set ups, but its all I've ever been around so no excuse for me. Besides, I never left Bruce the linkage parts. He can't install what he doesn't have. That will change when I bring over my stash.
IMG_1014.jpg
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I know about the early style return spring, but your replacement carb has an external (late model style) return spring, so maybe the cable-mounted spring is not needed.

If it had no spring it would not have been driveable....... ;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Very true! At least the oil pressue switch is now working. And (possibly) 1/2 of the gas leak is resolved! :D
Ken

Post by Ken »

Nice work guys. Looks like you are getting it close to being a driver.
Can't wait to see that bad boy on the road.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

This is going to be a multi-part posting, I'm about halfway through the wiring process. The wiring was not up to the standards that I hold and the car would not have been reliable in the condition it was in. The harness was new but numerous other things must be done at the same time a harness is put in, this is the difference between doing a job, and doing a job right.

Let's start with the ignition switch: The main feed power from the rear of the car comes here and branches off to the headlight switch and fusebox.

This is the main power feed wire from the battery as it came to me:
P8100062.JPG

Which attaches to one of these stupid piggyback connectors
P8120120.JPG
P8120120.JPG (143.9 KiB) Viewed 18032 times

Onto the ignition switch.
P8100057.JPG
I've already changed this power feed arrangement around but I don't have pictures of it yet, they will come later this week. Instead of piggybacking heavy amperage wires I made a 4 way soldered splice where the main power branches into 3 separate feeds- the ignition switch, headlight switch, and fusebox. You'll see later.

Here's the piggyback coming off the ignition switch, the left wire is the coil feed, the right wire feeds the fusebox. Yech.
P8100063.JPG
This is the coil feed wire, the crimp terminal was actually loose and the wire could be pulled in and out of the terminal by about 1/16" . This would have caused an intermittent stall condition where the car shuts off on bumps if it was not corrected.
P8120078.JPG
P8120078.JPG (162.48 KiB) Viewed 18032 times
On to the headlight switch. The same power feed comes here before going to the fuseblock, but it's important to remove and clean the HL switch before installing the new harness. Here are before and after pictures of the HLS when it goes for a ride in the blast cabinet. I also spray it with penetrating oil and blow it off thoroughly, you can see the remnants of the oil on the terminals. This helps prevent surface corrosion in the future.
P8100039a.jpg
From there the power goes to the fuseblock. I had already cleaned the terminals with my tiny wire wheel when I decided that wasn't good enough and it needed a ride in the blast cabinet also. Here are before and after pictures of that:
P8100002a.jpg
On to the wiper switch, once again it needed a bit of cleaning:
P8100012a.jpg
These were the wires attached to the wiper motor, and what I replaced them with:
P8100033.JPG
This is a junction block for the turn signal switch, before and after blasting:
P8120095a.jpg

All of these corroded surfaces would have stacked up to create considerable voltage drop in every circuit on the car and when you have only 6v to start with you're already at a big disadvantage. :)

I've been wiring stuff a long time and specialized in that when I had the truck shop. In order to do a wiring job properly you must stock the proper supplies. Here are about half of my terminal trays, which are thousands of dollars worth of terminals. The heat shrink terminals are expensive, when I had the shop I bought them in bags of 1000 each because we used so many. I still like to keep plenty on hand so when I need a terminal in X size for X wire, I have it. I also can make battery cables and have the big long crimper than handles up to 4/0 cable.
P8120104.JPG
P8120107.JPG
Last edited by Dual Port on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Note the red/white wire in the fuseblock picture above. For some odd reason, VW wired this car with only 4 fuses and uses two of them for the taillights which are fused individually. I wonder if this is why the left taillight didn't work? :mrgreen:
P8100007a.jpg
I had a great day at Volksfest yesterday and picked up several trinkets at the swap meet that are going to make this car even better. Stay tuned, more to come.

:D
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus