Allegheny weekend

TheBigSpud

Allegheny weekend

Post by TheBigSpud »

Thought about heading to the High Country Bus Festival, but opted for a shorter trip to the Allegheny National Forest instead. We gotta get to HCBF one of these times though!

A pretty good weekend - just about a 3 hour cruise each way, no poison ivy, not skeeter bite and the humitity lifted for the weekend. Stopped first in the Kinzua area of the forest for some kayaking in the allegheny reservoir. Plenty of sites available and 3 active bears (maybe that's why!). A good time, but the reservoir area gets a bit busy with boat traffic and such, so we moved on to see more of the ANF. I remembered Bill mentioning a small campground, we found it and rounded out the rest of our time there. Good call, Bill. Only six sites and the best one, in my estimation, was open. Interestingly, It's called Minister Creek and located on route 666 !!
Great hiking all through the ANF. I broke a toe the week brefore, so was relegated to stumbling along on one 2-miler, but it was really great with great scenery and extraordinary overlooks. No bus sightings. Now on to Dixie Bus!
Recommended trip.

large site on Minister Creek

Tionesta Creek

the dog was so tuckered out she was sleeping sitting up.

chillin at our site - camera on a stick.
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Howie

Re: Allegheny weekend

Post by Howie »

Nice! The ANF is great! I camped at Queen's Creek in 2010 with about 10,000 close friends for a few days.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Howie

Post by Howie »

A bit northeast of where y'alls was at.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Pete,that is our favorite site also. Glad you enjoyed it.
\Bill