The Eagle has Landed

dormohbile2

The Eagle has Landed

Post by dormohbile2 »

Our first campout with the Eagle at Mt Gilead State park. Being our first trip with the Eagle, we stayed close to home with the park being just 10 minutes away. Only took about 15 minutes to get it set up. Got down to 30 degrees at night but my daughter and her friend from Germany stayed warm with the heater on and a tarp over the top.

Sue and me, my son Caleb and his friend stayed warm in Das Bus with a tarp over the top and the heater on full blast. The park is in the midst of taken several ash trees down that are dead as a result of the ash beetle so we had an unlimited amount of firewood...

Ended day one returning home for a quick shower and pack things we forgot for the second night at Mohican...

The bus was running good but it was only ten minutes down the road and the next trip would be an hour with some big hills going to Mohican state park. It was a nice sunny drive along back roads with only a couple cars following me along the way. The bus ran strong only having to drop it into third gear a few times.

Mohicans leaves are starting to come out and we got a site along the river and set up. Next time we will reserve later in the summer and take advantage of the tube rafting and hiking trails...

Night time was forecasted to hit 25 so I covered up both the bus and apache switching the tarps. My daughters friend went home so my daughter slept in the bus while the rest of us in the apache. The silver tarp over the apache covered the whole thing and I have to say I was almost too warm during the night.

Simple breakfast in the morning starting with my fresh roasted Guatemalan antiqua coffee run through a coffee press and a few basic meats, bread and fruit and we were ready for the day...

We had a great weekend splitting the two nights between two different camp grounds and getting the practice of packing and setting up the eagle. The drive home was more nerve racking as the hills were bigger on the way home and I had to drop the bus down to second gear a couple times but it stayed cool and ran good. I now have two new tires ordered for the apache and plan to make a storage box for the inside. We're already planning the next trip!
Hank
Hank
1966 Dormobile - http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp187/dormohbile2/
1991 Vanagon Westy
Josh

Re: The Eagle has Landed

Post by Josh »

Awesome! Looks like you guys had a great trip, that Apache looks great. Much nicer to be able to spread out a little.
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Last edited by WideFive on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

glad to see that your bus ran good with the trailer :)
Bill
slayer

Post by slayer »

Great pics thanks for sharing!!

" Marine Sniper - You can run, but you'll just die tired!"

56 Kombi (The Slayer Bus)
65 Sundial Camper
68 Single Cab
03 Passat