1956 Single Cab

SlashKirk

1956 Single Cab

Post by SlashKirk »

I bought this single from OldBluT2 awhile back with intentions of a complete revival.
Well, things change and I was left without a running bus heading into the end of summer.
I had to press this back into service, but not without some updates....

Brand new RIS 1600sp engine
Safaris
New decklid
Removed diamond plate from bed, added temp new bed
Found better used side gates and make usable again
Repaired treasure chest door and surrounding area
Added a dual master cylinder and repaired brake system
New tie rods from WideFive
New wiring harness, front to back, complete. (highly recommend this to others)
Covert wipers to 12volt
Plus added a hitch :lol:

Back on the job!!
IMG_20131001_142911_004 - Copy.jpg
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
TRL

Re: 1956 Single Cab

Post by TRL »

Looks great Kirk!
The Rick Lang
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Nice!
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

Good to see it back to work. I see you added a few reflectors, too. Did you wire the taillights like a '56 or in a way that won't get you rear-ended?
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

I filled existing holes in the rear with some reflectors I had laying around. I did "update" the tail light situation to include 58-61 style lights, but this meant I needed to change the turn signal switch to make it all work correctly :?
While I was doing the dash wiring, I also changed all the screw terminals switches to spade terminal connections (because that's the way the harness was already wired). And today...I added that now famous large stop signal. Danny can put all those lights on the front of his bus, I'm gonna light up the rear end of this bus :lol: :lol:
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

I know a '56 should have a small red reflector under the taillight, but I never knew what the other hole was for. I've never seen one with that many reflectors. Glad you're using the STOP light - I was going to have to steal it back if you didn't!

Were those the year plates I had on it? I think you still have my historical plates (not that I have anything to put them on :cry: )
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Ken

Post by Ken »

Nice work Kirk. Good to see the old boy is alive and well. :D Where did you getbyour wiring harnesses? I just rebuilt the harness on the Vegas Bus. What a pain :o
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

OldBluT2 wrote:Were those the year plates I had on it? I think you still have my historical plates (not that I have anything to put them on :cry: )
Same plates that you had, but your historical plates are only good for that vehicle as long as you own it and cannot be transferred to others.
Ken wrote:Where did you get your wiring harnesses? I just rebuilt the harness on the Vegas Bus. What a pain :o
The harness is a Wiring Works unit. I've gone through my fair share of hacked wiring in buses but this one was so brittle that it needed replaced...and it solved all electrical issues it had for many years.
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
WestsideDan

Post by WestsideDan »

Kirk wrote:I filled existing holes in the rear with some reflectors I had laying around. I did "update" the tail light situation to include 58-61 style lights, but this meant I needed to change the turn signal switch to make it all work correctly :?
While I was doing the dash wiring, I also changed all the screw terminals switches to spade terminal connections (because that's the way the harness was already wired). And today...I added that now famous large stop signal. Danny can put all those lights on the front of his bus, I'm gonna light up the rear end of this bus :lol: :lol:
man i have the wrights to that stop light if you ever sale that truck :lol:
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Kirk wrote: I've gone through my fair share of hacked wiring in buses but this one was so brittle that it needed replaced...and it solved all electrical issues it had for many years.
So, you put it back to six volt! :lol: