TYPE IV Engine Rebuild

justdave

TYPE IV Engine Rebuild

Post by justdave »

I got inspired to continue the rebuild on my 1976 2 liter. I took out all the bolts so I could split the case. However, I didn't follow Chuck's advice, which was to remove ALL the bolts and then take 2 more out!

So.... I tried to split the case and ended up breaking off the tab at the oil breather. :roll:

Here are some pics
July August 2010 NYS 180.jpg
July August 2010 NYS 181.jpg
July August 2010 NYS 182.jpg
July August 2010 NYS 183.jpg
I'm pretty sure I have all the hardware removed now, but would really appreciate finishing splitting the case with someone who has case-splitting experience.

Any volunteers?
'78 late bay (needs to be buffed)
'76 late bay (shared with Smittie)
Dual Port

Re: TYPE IV Engine Rebuild

Post by Dual Port »

I've never done a T4, but split several T1s without a "splitter tool". I use a block of wood in the oil pump hole to bump the halves apart. It is somewhat important to have all of the bolts out. :lol:

Where are you in Grafton?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Last edited by WideFive on Sat May 07, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
justdave

Post by justdave »

westy66 wrote:time for some JB Weld
Will someone let the Administrator know that Howie is logging in under other people's accounts!!!
Dual Port wrote:Where are you in Grafton?
We are right off Rt. 83 on Law Rd.

Aaron, I think I will go with TIG over JB! :lol: I also think I should get an engine stand rather than try to do this on the bench.
Randy in Maine

Post by Randy in Maine »

The 2 bolts that are easy to miss are the 1 behind the flywheel and the one on the 3/4 side that holds the oil pick up tube in there.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Dave:

I'm free tonight if you need an extra pair of hands, my wife's busy with her GFs.

Randy, I just saw your location, I used to live in South Portland for a few years as a rugrat and remember going to Old Orchard Beach amusement park (?) when I was a kid in the mid 60's. I think it burned down while we lived there. Fond memories of Maine........
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

There are 20 of them on the type 4 motor.2 of them are easy to miss.! on the bottom inbetween the lifter bores,ussually covered with grease and oil. It is a long bolt and may be bent if the oil strainer cover was over tightened.This bolt goes through the oil pickup and holds it in place. The other easy one to miss is behind the flywheel above the cam plug.Also ussually covered with grease and oil
Bill
justdave

Post by justdave »

Bruce - I didn't get on the site yesterday. Thanks for the offer to help - I need to get an engine stand before I try this again, though.

Bill - Thanks for the advice. I will count the connections I've found before continuing.
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Dave, I have the Type IV rebuild (w/ Jake Raby) DVD that you can borrow as long as you promise to return it. 4 long hours of fun! :lol:
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Dave,the main bearing sets for the typeIV motor are now obsolete,thatis,the 3 manufactures have quit making them. None of my always reliable sources could get them. i did find a couple sources but the prices has more thatn doubled to $100 . That was last month,I just checked and the price has gone up since to $150. and up.It appears that the shops that specialize in rebuilding these motors are buy them up. Let me know when you get that far. It is unlikly that your case has been align bored or will need it,but you should inspect your crank asap and at least get the main bearings while you can.
Bill