Uncle Howie's Spaghetti Warehouse

CraigOnTheBoat

Re: Uncle Howie's Spaghetti Warehouse

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

My 76 was like that, I used Blaster let it soak overnight then put a heat to it, then sprayed blaster on it again while warm. They all came out.
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

So, I finally rolled over to Uncle Howie's today after work. Seems like this is one of the first dry days we've had. Need to get rolling on this thing. The PO hacked the tin work to DEATH under this motor. All the sheet metal screws are a mess, but we were able to get to the exhaust nuts.

Howie has been spraying the crap out of these things, but they are in pretty bad shape. Even with MAP gas the nuts we can get a socket on won't come loose and the studs are basically screwing out of the head. I got the first nut off with heat and was feeling good, but on the next one the stud started to screw out. The bad thing is I can feel "play" in the stud as I unscrewed it and it won't come all the way out.

The real pain is the PO either used some "off size" nuts (doubtful) or these nuts were butchered on a prior install. On the four nuts on #1 & #3 port I stuck a 12mm up there and it was too big. Went to a 10mm and that was too big! :shock: A 9mm was too small. So these nuts are wasted.

I called Josh to see if he has a set of those "grabber" sockets and he does. So hopefully on Monday we'll get over there and get this exhaust off to survey the damage.

Howie

Post by Howie »

THANK you Sean! While he was rassling and torching #3 & #4 I was able to back out the #1 nuts, loosened at least, albeit the studs are coming out with it, which Sean says is okay. Then he took over. Once I get that tin out of the way I will load the nuts/studs up with more PB Blaster and see if that helps any.
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I picked up some 3/8 drive extractor sockets at HF on my way home from work. Cheap, but they'll do. I learned the studs are larger at the top, so I guess that explains why the studs that screwed out can't get past the exhaust stud holes. They'll come out when we get the rest of the nuts off. I told Howie to keep spraying.

It's a busy weekend with Mother's Day and all, so we may not get back at it 'till Monday. I talked to Josh and he may be able to stop over after work on Monday. Hopefully we can see what studs need replacing and take care of it then.

I'm just hoping all this bus just needs is new exhaust gaskets and a few welds here and there on the spaghetti noodles. As long as he hasn't burned up the heads, it should be ok. If this doesn't fix it, I guess he can drive it till he gets new/replacement heads. He's been driving it like this for a few years now so replacement heads may be needed anyway. I hope not, but we'll see.
Howie

Post by Howie »

"We Met with Unexpected Results" today.
Looking for a new set of heads.
A huge Thank You to Sean & Josh for giving it one heck of a try! :D
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

westy66 wrote:Sorry to hear Howie. Is she totally out of commission for the season?
Unless someone with more knowledge, tools and skill can step up and take a look at it, I'm out of options.

First off, I appreciated Josh's help and assessment tonight. We put it back "the way it was", so it's not totally out of commission, but it needs to be fixed properly. I'll take some solace in the fact we didn't break any studs, but the studs are indeed "wasted". The nuts, what's left of them, are rusted to the studs. Mapp gas heat was largely ineffective. Probably not hot enough. Even then extractor sockets were ineffective due to excessive rust and deterioration. If we could get up there with a thin air chisel we could get the rusted nuts removed, but the studs are in such sad shape they all need to all be replaced. At least 4 of the studs won't come out which is what we were attempting to accomplish so we could try to screw in new ones tonight.

The heads need to come off and the studs drilled out and replaced if those heads are even salvageable. Otherwise, its time for a replacement set of heads. Either way its money that Howie doesn't have.

There's no getting around the need to maintain these vehicles. I went through this last summer with my beetle. New heads. It was time. Getting at it early and doing it regularly can sometimes save you cash in the long run. I don't want to sound cruel, because a lot of this rests with the PO and not Howie, but there's just so much that has been hacked around this engine it's frustrating. I'm heating a bolt last week while looking up at a thermostat that is wasted and the wire is hanging down. The engine tin was hacked for this spaghetti system. It's all wrong on so many levels.

He can drive it locally like he's been doing for the last 5 years. What can be harmed at this point?

The bottom line is the engine needs to come out and it has to be gone through. Even if the case isn't split we need a working set of heads and we all know the right thing to do is to also clean the injectors, replace the clutch, do the fuel lines & vacuum lines and replace the throw out bearing and do a whole lot more. That takes money. So until Howie can afford it, she will sit.

I wish I had a better report, but it is what it is.
Howie

Post by Howie »

The bus won't be at Tuneup Day, but I will be. Thank you for volunteering Chuck's skills and work! ;) I have gotten several phone calls and emails from folks offering their parts, and assistance, with my repair project. I thank each and every one of them from the bottom of my heart! We have a great club here! Given my current budget, with me being out of work, there still seems to be a glimmer of hope of getting my bus on the road this season. Thank you ALL!
Howie
Howie

Post by Howie »

Sean made good on his promise to "Get that darn exhaust system off one way or another", and brought Chuck and the heavy artillery over today.
The REAL "Master of Sparks" says, "Yeah, this oughta do the trick! Oh, do ya have a garden hose handy, Howie? Ya might want to get that too".
"Oh crap! Now I need an air chisel too!".
Well, Chuck got MOST of it off. My bus is DEFINITELY not going anywhere for awhile now.
THANK You, gentlemen for your hard work and Fellowship today! It is sincerely appreciated!
Howie
Howie

Post by Howie »

Chuck said he recently used that torch to cut up a tear-down building's girders, and figured it would be good enough to use on my bus. We never even needed to use the garden hose! Chuck is the Master of the Flame! :)
Howie
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

So..... where are the other two flanges that bolt the "F tubes" to the head? Did you have to cut them off? Are they still attached to the heads?

That exhaust doesn't really look that bad - the noise was probably because it wasn't sealing well at the head mating surfaces.
Don