The "Lurchmobile"

Six Volt

Re: Mechanic Needed - 78 Bay

Post by Six Volt »

That's good info Randy. If a backfire occurs at the plenum when attempting a start, my assumption is the air has to come out somewhere. Isn't that an indication of a leak?

I'm still concerned about the timing. I figured out the TDC question thanks to Gregg's link.

If he doesn't get it started, and I have time, I'll go back over and give the "S" boot closer attention.
Randy in Maine

Post by Randy in Maine »

These S boots get a little tired after about 30 years. I like to remove them and hold them up in the bright Cleveland sunlight to see if they are split or cracked on the backside pleats.

"Shoe Goo" is the decent fix here.

A dusting of some sort of adhesive (other than RTV) helps hold the AFM cap on there so dirt doesn't get in. I have always used a little hylomar, but I am not sur if it is corrosive tot he electrical circuits or not.

It will start at TDC adn will run well enough to time it correctly.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

I think your on to it being a timing issue, or at least ign related. It did backfire. It needs fuel and spark to backfire.I would still want to check fuel pressure.
Bill
wisepilgrim

Post by wisepilgrim »

I want to point out that the bus is for sale. Not because it won't start mind you, but because I have to move to Iceland at the end of the month.

I will entertain any offer.
TheBigSpud

Post by TheBigSpud »

"......and hold them up in the bright Cleveland sunlight.." :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete
78 Westy 2.0L FI
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

Late to this party.... So the Bus was running OK, you exited the highway, it died, and hasn't started since? Sure sounds like something "failed".

Has the trigger for the electronic ignition that slips over the distributor shaft been checked? If this has cracked or moved, it could be throwing the timing way off.

Where are you located?
Don

Post by Six Volt »

Major grounding/AFM issues. Also distributor. A little bit of everything. It's running now.
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Last edited by WideFive on Fri May 06, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

WideFive wrote:
Six Volt wrote:Major grounding/AFM issues. Also distributor. A little bit of everything. It's running now.
Nice work Sean... oh and Dale too. I'm sure he helped a little when he wasn't in your way :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Dale couldn't get anything done without me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale is a lifesaver. I would have been staring at that thing for the next month with a dumb look on my face. :oops: At least it didn't have a vacuum leak! :D
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

Nice work fellas! Im trying to get Jammie No Bus to get a hold of this 78 . Nice starter bus for sure.
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio