The "Lurchmobile"

wisepilgrim

Dan's old ride.

Post by wisepilgrim »

Just bought dan's 78 bay and thought I would pop in here to introduce myself. I know how attached all of you were to his bus and so I wanted to let you know that it is always available to you if you feel the need to tinker.

It's my first bus (hell it's the first time i have ever seen my name on a car title) and what I don't know about it could fill these forums.

If any of you have the patience to have a newbie looking over your shoulder I would love to learn as I go. The calendar looks a bit thin this time of year, and I won't be able to make it to this months meeting, but I am sure I will be getting to know the community soon enough.

It's nice to be here.

Michael
SlashKirk

Re: Dan's old ride.

Post by SlashKirk »

Welcome Michael!

Hope to meet you soon.

What part of town you from?
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
wisepilgrim

Post by wisepilgrim »

I grew up in North Olmsted, but have lived much of the last 6 years in Iceland/Spain.
At the moment I am living in River.
Howie

Post by Howie »

In the words of John Wayne, "Welcome, Pilgrim"!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Welcome. Several of us live in the Lakewood/ West Park area so we're right around the corner. Welcome aboard!
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Yup, spotted Dan's (Keith's) old bay bus last night in the Rocky River Home Depot parking lot, called Dan to confirm that he sold it to a westsider, he didn't have much time to chat, but tried to explain that the new owner has plans to take it to Spain to open a mobile vegatable stand?.....
wisepilgrim

Post by wisepilgrim »

Yea more or less.
Not really a vegetable stand but my hope was to learn enough about the thing to be confident enough to handle any repairs that might be necessary when I move overseas next Spring.
wisepilgrim

Mechanic Needed - 78 Bay

Post by wisepilgrim »

Howdy.

My 78 Bus went kaput last week while I was exiting the highway. Unfortunately my workload has doubled and I don't have the time or energy to self-diagnose this one. It is the first time the bus has failed me (you might remember it better as dan's 78 bus).

I know I have not made much of an effort to getting to know the pros in these forums, but I was hoping that my laziness aside somebody might offer to help figure out the problem. My biggest problem is that I no longer have access to a warm garage and tools. I can tow it to wherever it needs to go.

The engine turns over just fine but it won't start. Every now and again it makes that diarrhea sound like it just got rid of some wet gas. It was idling a bit rough prior to failing. So far I have only been able to tug on cables and hoses. Everything seems in place, including the accelerator cable.

Can anybody help? Not a free job of course, willing to pay for your help.

Michael
Randy in Maine

Re: Mechanic Needed - 78 Bay

Post by Randy in Maine »

If you are near me in southern Maine at the beach, come on by. I will look at it for free.

My suggestion would be to have a look at the free or cheap fixes first. Then move on if you have to. I assume this is a pretty much stock bus.

The first thing I would do would be to look to see if you have a vacuum line off or perhaps a connection loose at the coil or at the double relay. If so, a zip tie can be a friend here.

The next thing I do is make sure the connections are 100% good, clean and tight at the battery, the starter (all of them) and the chassis ground strap. More VWs have been towed due to poor electrical connections than everything else combined.

Usually the problem is ignition problems, go there next.

You may want to see what the dwell angle is (the point gap of 0.016-0.018"). 47º +/- 3º is what I shoot for. If you don't have a dwell/tach, now is the time to invest $40 in one. This is the one I use. No dwell = no spark.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7677-Aut ... B0002LZU7K

The next thing I would do would be to hook up a $20 fuel pressure gauge and see if you are getting adequate fuel pressure. If you don't have a gauge, do the volume test to see pump is putting out about 1L of fuel in 30 seconds.

My FP gauge is this one and I use this procedure to test it. You need to have 26 psi to get into the game. And if the engine backfired there is a little "door" inside the AFM (remove the air cleaner and use a long skinny screwdriver to make sure that little door is swinging freely). that little door runs the micoswitch that runs the double relay that runs the fuel pump when the engine is running.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VDO-153008D/

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... f=42&t=213

Might want to download this manual if you don't have it or your mechanic doesn't.

http://manuals.type4.org/ljet/

If you end up taking this bus to a mechanic, be sure to take your Bentley manual with you to loan them.

Report back with what you have found.
framingsilly

Re: Mechanic Needed - 78 Bay

Post by framingsilly »

Streetsboro Foriegn auto. Give them a ring. He just did work for me and I am happy with everything .
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio