Weird oil leak HELP!!!!

Mbkeith74

Weird oil leak HELP!!!!

Post by Mbkeith74 »

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 87 vanagon syncro. This is my first water-cooled VW. I finally got the thing ready to go and on frieday thought I would run it for a while to see what happens. Anyway long story short after about a half hour it started to pour oil out of the front of the engine (crank pulley side). After letting it sit I thought I would start it again and this time nothing happened. So on saturday night I thought I would run it again and see what happens well after about a half hour again it started to leak alot of oil. I just don't get it has anyone had this happen. I can't see where the oil leak is coming from and just thought befor I go ripping the motor out I would see if anyone has had this happen. Well hope to hear some ideas because if not it looks like it might be replaced with a Subaru or a Vw diesel. Thanks guys hope to hear some ideas or fixes. MBK
21window

Re: Weird oil leak HELP!!!!

Post by 21window »

The high pressure oil switch is near the crank pulley (down and to the left) could it be that?
jim m

Post by jim m »

There is 2 hoses for the oil cooler and a O ring that leak . The oil filter screws on to it. A good place to start looking.
Jim Morgan
74 Super Beetle
Mbkeith74

Post by Mbkeith74 »

The thing that gets me is that it won't leak till it's warmed up. If it starts to leak and then you shut it off for a couple minutes and then start it again it will leak only after it warms back up. Could the oil pressure switch that's there only get oil after it warms up or could the oil relief valve be bad? I can't see it so I think I'm going to try to use a buddy's bore scope to see what's going on. Thanks guys MBK