77 Westy

Josh

Re: 77 Westy

Post by Josh »

I got about a hundred miles out of the bus until the fuel tank rust prevailed. I was losing power and bucking/stalling, so out came the motor and tank. The tank was heavily caked all around with huge rust flakes. A local radiator shop didn't even want to touch it, but luckily Sean has a good spare that will work fine. I am probably going to do a little clean up while the motor is out, but nothing major. I'll save that till the end of season.
This was my first type 4 motor pull, and it was just as easy as a type 1! Only took about an hour, but I am sure that installation will take a bit longer.
I have to say... I love fuel injection. I know Don is smiling now.
Green...77

Post by Green...77 »

Image[/quote]

Nice bus! :D
Be careful when you reattach the double relay and resistor pack. They get brittle after 34 years. I've had to solder both after disturbing them.
--
Mark
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Put a 1600 in it and run it.
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
Josh

Post by Josh »

I would if I had one...
Ron

Post by Ron »

You should just go over to Kirk's house and take that red bus back. And tell him tuff luck buddy. :shock:
Howie

Post by Howie »

Josh will have this back on the road in no time once his new parts arrive. Nothing holds that man back. :)
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Ron wrote:You should just go over to Kirk's house and take that red bus back. And tell him tuff luck buddy. :shock:

I like that idea too......just bring some cash ;)
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Josh

Post by Josh »

So since the engine was out, I wanted to go over a few things. I took the tin off and saw a lot of the old deteriorated engine seal caked on to the cylinders and oil cooler. A few hours and a gallon of simple green things are looking good.

The gas tank is rusted to hell, but Chuck is confident that he'll turn it into a beauty queen. Meanwhile, Sean hooked me up with a like new tank. I have a bunch of little parts on order that I need before the engine goes back in. I am going over Chuck's to sandblast all the tin, then I'll give them the rustoleum treatment.

This engine is in great shape, and doesn't even leak oil.... yet.

and after............

vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Nice bus and good looking work josh! If I cleaned one that good it would probably start leaking
Howie

Post by Howie »

westy66 wrote:WOW! clean.... did you use Amanda's toothbrush ;)
OUCH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
>I< was going to ask, "Did you have that done at WideFive's shop"? ;)
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac