77 Westy

SlashKirk

Re: 77 Westy

Post by SlashKirk »

westy66 wrote:
Ron wrote:You should just go over to Kirk's house and take that red bus back. And tell him tuff luck buddy. :shock:
It's for sale..... I saw the sign :lol:

I don't know how you could miss that sign! :lol:
Attachments
Image06222011161347.jpg
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Mbkeith74

Post by Mbkeith74 »

Holy cow that engine looks awesome Josh.
Josh

Post by Josh »

OK... haven't updated in a while, but I have been busy on the 77! HUGE thanks to Chuck for his "sage" advice, pun intended. He let me come over to his compound to sandblast all my engine tin, and has helped me get all these foreign type 4 parts back together. Thanks man!
I basically tore everything down just to go over it and clean it up real good.

Both motor mounts were replaced, Sean hooked me up with a like new fuel tank to replace the rusty mess. I installed a new fuel sender while I had the tank out, and replaced all the fuel lines with new BMW 7mm reinforced FI line. The injectors got cleaned up and dressed with new seals too. I drained and replaced the tranny fluid, removed and cleaned the rust off the front brake rotors, replaced the exhaust gaskets, alternator belt, fuel filter, clutch cable/bowden tube, clutch disc, and cleaned up the flywheel and pressure plate. Hopefully she's ready for the road. I still have to replace the front shifter bushing because it's fallen apart.

Here is me at Chucks sandblasting the tin, I swear he just wanted to get pics of me bent over

Here is all the tin in the "parma paintbooth" *(EPA friendly) getting the rustoleum treatment

Then it was down to Sherwin Williams for some good old Sage Green to clean up the engine bay

Then the motor got the royal cleaning treatment, and went from this.......

to this... ready for installation
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Nice job Josh. :D Looks like a "Don", (as in N. Canton VW lover Don), engine. :lol: That means you can eat off it. :D

Get ready Howie. This is all in your future.
Howie

Post by Howie »

Six Volt wrote:Get ready Howie. This is all in your future.
NOT Sage Green I hope! :shock:
Quiet running, and enough heat displacement away from the cylinders to take me on a few hundred mile trip, is all I'm looking for.
My gas tank, or the Filler tube bend is what I worry about (gas smell) moreso. I want to do that while the motor is out. I don't plan on pulling the motor twice, so gonna do it all now. Even if I have to steal, beg, borrow, barter or Trade.
Meantime, I'm rolling the bus into the back yard for the 4th of July weekend on Friday. Camping out and burning some wood. Anyone who wants a cheap, free campout this weekend, roll on over. :D
I KNOW the bus will get done. I have Faith in my Brothers to help me. THANK you all!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Howie

Post by Howie »

I sort of hijacked Josh's bus thread. My apologies!
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

I just got around to looking at the before and after pictures - I'll drop the DC off this weekend!
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

OldBluT2 wrote:I just got around to looking at the before and after pictures - I'll drop the DC off this weekend!
:lol: How true! :D Josh doesn't do anything, "half way". I wasn't surprised he had to clean the tank on a bus that sat for a few years, but cleaning or replacing the tank to most of us is a lot different than what Josh thinks and does. When Josh is in, he's ALL in! :lol: I like doing projects with Josh because "short cut" is not an option! :D
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

DAMN!!! I get too busy with work to check the forum and go on vacation for a week and look what happens!!!

Congratulations, Josh! You've been busy and it looks like one nice Bus!

Welcome to the Sage Green / L-Jet Club!!!!! :mrgreen:
Don
Josh

Post by Josh »

Just got the Gerson windshield lip replacement panel from monkey nut vw in NC. The color is almost a perfect match!