CKWA/KWHA Part II

Six Volt

CKWA/KWHA Part II

Post by Six Volt »

Well, it's been a long winter. I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Even having a garage was no motivation, or was it that I had no time? Either way, spring is here. I chronicled a lot of this restoration on the old site here:

http://www.odinpowersailors.com/leakoil ... .php?t=529

For those who don't know them, CKWA refers to "Captain Kirk's Welding Academy", he gave me my first welding lesson. KWHA refers to "Kyle's Wiring Harness Academy". He is the LEAKOIL wiring guru that I'm mainly watching as the wiring on this bus comes together. I'm in the wiring academy when Kyle comes over. Both Kirk and Kyle have provided countless hours of advice and assistance.

I didn't finsh the bus before the web change, so I figure I can go through the rest of it here.

Again, I'm a rank amatuer. This is just going to be a driver. Nothing too far away from stock that the stock nazis can't fix down the road. I hope these little updates keep me motivated to finish the project and also help serve to motivate some other 'newbie' like me to get up the courage to try their own restoration.

So what's up for today? Get the engine installed. Here is some background on the work leading up to today...

Over the past few weeks I knew I would have to get the engine back in the bus, but as with anything there is always a lot of other stuff that needs to be done before you can accomplish the primary goal. After Kirk helped me with the fuel tap, I needed to get that engine compartment in shape. I had to paint it myself beacause I failed to prep it before sending it to the painter.

Got the matching mango green from Sherwin Willliams automotive in Cleveland. Four 12oz spray cans for about $40 IIRC. Just gave them the VW paint code.

The stock nazi's can see the straps are the wrong color. They should be black. I should fix them but...

You can see the so called "VIN" tag here. It's held on with only two slotted screws! :shock:

Here's one with the tank in. Thanks Kirk!

The engine has been sitting around for some time. But I still had to do the usual ditributor rehab and tune up stuff even after taking it down to the long block.

Forgot to put the throttle cable and choke cable through the fan housing. I had to take the engine out and do it all over again! :oops: Rookie! (I hope I got all the cables in the right places! :shock: )

Here some more getting the engine instaled...

Finally in...

Howie

Re: CKWA/KWHA Part II

Post by Howie »

Sean, you are far too modest. If that is a "rank amateur job", then I'm not even fit to be the mud under your shoes. What you have done is VERY impressive and most admirable! Almost "California Quality" even! ;)
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

That's very nice of you Howie, but you're not mud under anyone's shoes. And I'm nothing special. Believe me Howie, up close you'll see plently of mistakes, but at least I'm getting there and it'll be one more bus in the LEAKOIL pond.

Not that any of us know "California Quality" :? , I know it's not that, but maybe, just maybe, it's "Oklahoma Quality", or something like that. :lol:

It'll be running this year, but it may never be completly finished! That's life.
Don from Canton

Post by Don from Canton »

If they're finished, they're not any fun! If I could just get my wife to understand that concept... :)

Looking good, Sean! Can't wait to get a ride in it!
Don
Howie

Post by Howie »

All our buses are a, "Work In Progress". And THAT is what makes this FUN! :)
I was at Autozone on Sunday buying a fuel filter for my bus when I heard a voice down the counter saying, "STILL working on that old darn VW bus of yours, Howie?". It was my neighbor who is a master mechanic and GM Certified, etc.
I told my neighbor, "The fun part of buses is you never run out of things to fix on them."
Some people just don't appreciate "ART". :lol:
Howie
‎"...the ones in love with the night, they light up like a cigarette." -Jack Kerouac
Ken

Post by Ken »

Amen to that Brother :)
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

What's next on the list to do Sean??
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Captkirk wrote:What's next on the list to do Sean??
Come out to Marblehead and mess with someone's double cab. :o

Actually, Kyle is coming over Friday and were going to try to electrocute ourselves using 6 volts! :?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Six Volt wrote:
Captkirk wrote:What's next on the list to do Sean??
Come out to Marblehead and mess with someone's double cab. :o

Actually, Kyle is coming over Friday and were going to try to electrocute ourselves using 6 volts! :?
That would be a very slow agonizing electrocution :(
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
Howie

Post by Howie »

Six Volt wrote:Actually, Kyle is coming over Friday and were going to try to electrocute ourselves using 6 volts! :?
You made a DATE with Kyle for Friday, on the same day when you are supposed to be seeing ME and my battery tray? :o
Howie