Smittie-Lizzie

chuckspence

Re: Smittie-Lizzie

Post by chuckspence »

About all the hot engine chatter:

1) Not sure if there was a lean fuel issue, nothing appeared out of sorts.

2) I did not check the timing prior to engine disassembly, and I do not know if it was excessively advanced.

3) Minimal foreign debris around the cylinders, no nests of any kind.
Lizzie76

Post by Lizzie76 »

Checked timing before trip...was fine...just sayin'...I go with it being a nest :lol: See...not my fault :lol:

Ok...ok.. :oops: ..no nest. :( ..my fault.. :oops: ..is ANYONE REALLLLLLY surprised??? :o

:lol:
If she's amazing, she won't be easy...
If she's easy, she won't be amazing...
Well look at that...I must be the amazingest!
John

Post by John »

:roll:

:lol: :lol:
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
obsoleteman

Post by obsoleteman »

I think that the nest burned up and at 180 M.P.H. it simply all blew out the back as smoke, not so unlike any other smoke, "it was smokey".
Theory #Two; It was "just" that box of Kleenex left in there for when you need to check the oil.
Querey #2; was the box Empty? or Full?
You could call a piro-forensics expert and we will have... a big bill to pay. Better left to the imagination, it is more fun.
Things to think about;
... at least one blown motor is needed to be part of the inner circle in the club, or so I have heard.
....at Southern V.W. Shows they still have V.W. motor blow contests.
....Blowing your motor does not make you a bad Man.(not yet anyway) But, in due time, we will see if that becomes one of the very first club rules, (along with a court trial).
And Thanks to all of the comforting people that provided comfort to Smitty at an uncomfortable time. It probably does not matter who blew it. Blown is blown. You are still an awesome Smitty...and worthy of the club and the Camper.
Tom
Lizzie76 wrote:Checked timing before trip...was fine...just sayin'...I go with it being a nest :lol: See...not my fault :lol:

Ok...ok.. :oops: ..no nest. :( ..my fault.. :oops: ..is ANYONE REALLLLLLY surprised??? :o

:lol:
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

This motor had a top end done in March of 1994. New P&C's Mark Stephens heads this was at 115,337 miles. At 139,294 miles, 7/99 rebuild AFM. Bus ran great for PO who maintained it well
as has Smitty. The timing was right on and is fitted with Pertronix. I strongly suspect a slightly lean condition, not dangerously lean for normal use but lean enough,that under the conditions of this trip accelerated the demise of this motor. The air/fuel ratio,especially on a vehicle as heavy
as a loaded down bus in high ambient temps is extremely critical. It can not be done without the proper air/fuel measurement equiptment and a lot of patience and someone who knows what they are doing.

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1280
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

wwebner wrote: I strongly suspect a slightly lean condition, not dangerously lean for normal use but lean enough,that under the conditions of this trip accelerated the demise of this motor. The air/fuel ratio,especially on a vehicle as heavy
as a loaded down bus in high ambient temps is extremely critical. It can not be done without the proper air/fuel measurement equipment and a lot of patience and someone who knows what they are doing.

+1 on all points after seeing the pics. I know less than nothing about VW Bus injection, and I don't even know if it's a closed loop system using an O2. If it's not, I have a LM2 wideband setup for sale that I used to check the A/F ratio in my engine. It's low mileage and the sensor was never dropped or abused.

I'd suggest an ultrasonic cleaning and flow bench of the injectors to verify flow rate and pattern are correct, I used to have this setup when I had the shop. As for local, I think York Diesel in Medina might still do them. (723-4003?) They could also be sent to Linder Tech in Indy who I recommend highly. www.lindertech.com

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
John

Post by John »

:arrow: whats up with that rebuild,did it break more :?: :lol: :lol:
Never asked for a motorcycle...
Mopar's Rock...
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Nope didn't break more... didn't have anything left to break, Bill & I are rounding up & preping all the parts to build her engine, I'm planning on having everything by next week, I am waiting to get the rods & cylinders back from the machine shop, Bill is sending the fuel injectors out to have them reconditioned, this week I'll be cleaning & painting all the engine sheet metal, cleaning and doing the final prep on the engine case & major engine components, should have it ready to install around September 22nd... I will keep everyone posted.
Lizzie76

Post by Lizzie76 »

Thank you Chuck! YAY ME! :lol:
Lizzie76

SHE LIVES!!!!!

Post by Lizzie76 »

SHE'S ALIVE!!! SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! :lol: Well, if anyone was "WONDERING" what a bus club should be, I think it was once again proven this summer! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have no words :oops: for the elation that I am feeling because of you guys! Thank you for all the extra effort you all put forth, I am not worthy...BUT I AM SOOOO HAAAAAAAAPPPPPYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Chuck, Bill, Matt, Dan, Josh, John and Kyle. SOOO MUCH TIME was spent these last few weeks locating and getting everything and so much effort into the late night/early mornings just so I could go to KI!!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! I dont even know what to say... but I am out of here for the day...IN MY LIZZIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you ever NEED a helping hand, you will never know what makes this clubs heart beat!!! THIS IS LEAKOIL!!!!!!!!

I'm just so happy!!! NOW LETS GET TO KI!!!!! :lol:
Attachments
fini.jpg