61 Mango Walk Thru

Busjunky

61 Mango Walk Thru

Post by Busjunky »

Well ive got quite a project here!! Right now im focousing on getting the respray off so i can acces the true damage...lol. Thanks to Kirk for his input on paint removal!!
As you can see it was painted the color of an actually school bus.
Now we got some of that mango green showing thru!! I ordered all new hard and soft brake lines today along with new trans and motor mounts. Heres a list of things im going to need lol. Its extensive!
Front and rear fenders both sides
Full cargo floor
Outsides of front floor
rear corners
Left and Right rockers
Inner and Outter lower valence but the nose bottom is decent and i just need like a 2" piece of sheet metal and i'll fab it up.
All window seals
Speedometer!! The glass and needle are broken.
1 side pop out widow (passenger side)
1 slider window(drivers side)
DECK LID AND APRON AHHHH!!!
Front and Rear bumpers
Seats!!
Gas Tank
The engine vent on the passenger side including the gas tank area!!
deck lid hinge mount
All of the outriggers
Thats the most of it haha!! So needless to say this will be updated and ongoing, but i have the tools to do all this work and im ambitious and ready. Gathering all this sheet steel is going to be a real pain in the butt!!
WideFive

Re: 61 Mango Walk Thru

Post by WideFive »

Sweet, now all the cool kids have Mangos :)

Keep working on it and stay motivated! Real easy to get bogged down with a project like that.

Nice thing is after you're done it will be a Bus worth keeping!
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Yeah its gonna take some time. Im starting with the mechanicals before the body work. Id like to be able to drive it around town alittle while i work on everything else. Ill probably just redo the front floors first then brakes and put the engine in. I forgot you have a double door mango now dont ya!? Smetzer paint on rt250 in avery, oh mixed me up rattle can of mango green. I sprayed like a 6" section on the hatch then gave it a light sanding with 600 grit. Its a spot on match so i know what im gonna do as far as matching goes. Then ill probably wet sand when its all done with 1200 then buff with rubbing compound. Its gonna be tits!!
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

My Mango is just a regular standard. The Panel is a double door.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Looks like my '59. :D Mine was pretty trashed when I brought it home, but time and effort heals all.

Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Wow!! Looks amazing sean!! I spent the afternoon cutting some cancer out and getting ready to fix the nose area. I'll post more pics as i go along.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

well ive made quite a bit of progress in the last week or so.
cut out the inner valence and the outer along with the bottom of the nose.
before
After: fabracited all the fender and such by hand. The vent and gas tank section i got from westies for ransom!!
started in on the dogleg
top view after i first completed it. i also fabracated the outer front floor all by hand. no funky green for this guy
side view of the finished dog leg
outside view of it. its got a nice reveal along the bottom of the door line. i also replaced the bottom of that door along with the inner structure. all in all im very happy with everything so far. im not going for a 100 percent restore on it . just wanna make it sollid again and leave her alittle ratty but with a nice patina on the outside.
heres alittle instagram action for ther last photo
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Also id like to thank Kirk!! He hooked me up with all the sheet metal which pretty much made this entire project possible!!
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

here we have a inner strengtener that formed on a break earlier today.
here we have a the rocker that i formed by hand by laying a piece of angle iron on it and slowly working it to form the radius. its as straight as can be. i dont ever weld things like this solid. its too long of a run and it warp the steel and look like crap. just alot of tacks is all you need imo. body filler goes over it reguardless so why take the risk.
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Glad to help out another local bus owner ;)
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi