1978 Champagne Westy

vw7266

1978 Champagne Westy

Post by vw7266 »

Well I bought a late bay westy on Friday...I just hope I dont want a scooter next...

Really though I got a pretty good deal on this. The interior is super nice and complete, it has a brand new 3 window canvas in it. Motor runs good..it stops. Mechanically is pretty good but the guy who had it wasnt really into it, so he didnt really maintain it the way it should have been...so Im going to clean it up get it all 100 percent and we'll see what happens from there. It just needs a bunch of little stuff... like a torn CV boot, its carb'd and they idle a little fast, the tires on it suck I need some good 14's for it etc..not hard stuff but essential in some ways none the less. The body isnt terrible it has some rust but the paint job is some crappy repaint rustoleum job I think. I spent Saturday peeling stickers off the windows here are pics from Friday when I got it.

Six Volt

Re: 1978 Champagne Westy

Post by Six Volt »

Aaron has a sticker for you. ;)

Nice bus. I had a champagne middle seat in my old '79 bus. It really didn't match, but that corderoy was sweet. I see your front seats have that. Very nice!

Too bad they took of the FI stuff. So are you keeping it?
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

the fronts are actually tweed/vinyl. The upholstery is really nice otherwise it should have the plaid.

I dont know that I'm "keeping" it..but its forsale if someone wants it haha
Josh

Post by Josh »

vw7266 wrote:Well I bought a late bay westy on Friday...I just hope I dont want a scooter next...
We'll let you know when you're cool enough to own a scooter.. :ugeek:
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Josh wrote:
vw7266 wrote:Well I bought a late bay westy on Friday...I just hope I dont want a scooter next...

let me know when you have one cool enough for me to own like a cushman or something of that sort :D
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

vw7266 wrote:
Josh wrote:

let me know when you have one cool enough for me to own like a cushman or something of that sort :D
By then LEAKOIL members will have moved on to the next craze... Probably hot air ballons, ultralights or air-cooled swamp boats. Anything is possible, but trust me, SOMETHING will replace scooters! :lol:
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

vw7266 wrote:let me know when you have one cool enough for me to own like a cushman or something of that sort :D
I think you have to be 70yrs old to own a Cushman. Well at least the people that think you're cool with be that old :lol:
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

I think Greg threw a bunch of Chamagne trim parts in the dumpster at Columbus :lol:
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

Nice find. I looked at a Champagne Westy. They're nice looking buses. Not sure about the brown dash but otherwise nice. The one I looked at had an extremely nice interior, but the exterior was roached. I had to pass.
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

WideFive wrote:
vw7266 wrote:let me know when you have one cool enough for me to own like a cushman or something of that sort :D
I think you have to be 70yrs old to own a Cushman. Well at least the people that think you're cool with be that old :lol:
Hey Brad, saw this on the SV2 site. What do you think? :lol: