1984 Vanagon GL

Busjunky

1984 Vanagon GL

Post by Busjunky »

ok well since ive put entirely to much work and time into this its no longer a daily driver status and has moved into the "members projects" catagory. well i had it running well and then some brake lines blew. the following day the transmission went. it was the plate the bolts to the torque conveter
here it is
heres looking at the back of the engine where the trans would normally sit. see how the plate is broken and off-center from the crank.
heres another look with the plate now realigned with the center. the seam was broken clean so i just welded it back together
here it is after i welded it up with no helmet running flux wire on a 110 lincoln welder lol. my helmet is at work lol
Busjunky

Re: 1984 Vanagon GL

Post by Busjunky »

20 mins after i had the van up and running again the heads blew. now im rebuilding the engine. ill keep ya posted as i work on it thru out the weekend.
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Always kinda wondered and just more curious than anything else....is it out of balance or can you feel it shake while running after welding it?
Bad luck comes in threes but I think you listed more things than that :o
Your resourceful and sure you'll have it back on the road in no time.
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Wow! I've seen the flex plate fracture at the outer mounting holes where it bolts to the torque convertor but around the flywheel mount :?: . Was someone doing hole shots :lol:
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I've seen a lot of flexplates tear the centers out on V-8's, usually those that are worked hard- plowing, towtrucks, etc. You have serious cahones to weld one back together. I've never seen that before!

:)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

You can still part it out and recoup your cash...
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

I have a flex plate if you need it.
Bill
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

@kirk no, i noticed nothing different.
@dual port yeah im a man man!!
@bill if u consider 0-55mph in a two mile stretch a hole shot then yes ;-)
And thanks for the offer but im not tearing it back out anytime soon. The balance is much less towards the center then the outside. Had the bolt holes snapped it would of been a different story.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

I forgot to mention. I had an epic failure by pulling the cylinders out with the head. Its probably the most difficult thing ive had to in my experiences with any volkswagen. Holy snaps!!
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

Glad to see you have slowed down a bit David . Hope everthing starts turning around for the better for you ( it will! ) and you will have a great reliable ride when you are finished.Were you able to score some good heads from that fella. Around the corner from me? I would think so. He is a good dude and has lots of Goon stuff. Keep us updated on your project!
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio