1984 Vanagon GL

Busjunky

Re: 1984 Vanagon GL

Post by Busjunky »

Ok thats what i thought and the 1 and 1/2 turns is what ive always done and the only thing i knew. Ive never used a benley on a vanagon. I just borrowed it a day ago. It had me confused for sure. Will valves cause oil to blow out the exhaust?
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Ok so a couple valves were off. Bill i was aware of pressing the back of the rocker arms and making sure the lifter was pumped up. All valves are now at 1 and 1/2 turn in from the point of contact. Im 100% sure of this. After wards i pulled all the plugs and drained the oil. I noticed two of the plugs(cylinders 2 & 4) were covered in oil and appeared as if they were not firing. I dont understand how so much oil is making its way to the chamber? I hope i dont have some broken rings or something. I can not do this all over again. I will not survive another incident like this!! To top it off i woke up feeling sick today and a sore throat which is evidence that this van is killing me :-)
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

I hope you feel better. It's too bad there isn't another 1.9 engine out there that you could just run until spring. Hang in there.

Edit:

I was just over in the classifieds looking for stuff for my projects in Ohio and I saw this... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1331648

Hopefully you don't need to go this route, but I thought I'd throw it up here to keep all options open.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Six Volt wrote:I hope you feel better. It's too bad there isn't another 1.9 engine out there that you could just run until spring. Hang in there.

Edit:

I was just over in the classifieds looking for stuff for my projects in Ohio and I saw this... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1331648

Hopefully you don't need to go this route, but I thought I'd throw it up here to keep all options open.
Thanks sean. Im broke bud. I have a crappy job that doesnt even make enough to cover the bills i have now lol. Im looking for some thing better but until then im broke. I got this vanagon to hopefully drive and sell my car to reduce bills. Doesnt look like thats going to happen. It runs but there is ZERO power and u can hear the valves smacking the seats and theres oil shooting out of the exhaust. I dont know what to do anymore. I think i may of put a bad head or ive got blown lifters on it.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Well back apart it goes :-) hopefully this time it'll come back together as it should. I think theres a limp cylinder and bad lifters. Driver side only this time!!
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Ok so another memeber had trouble with his engine, bought a new engine(which i tracked down thanks to patrick) from another memeber. So i had the Vanagon hauled to my place and did a engine swap. You can see the engine(old) sitting on the dolly to the left. After that bus was returned to its owner i began working on the old core. Tore it down, put new rings on it, swapped the og heads for some newer ones in better shape. Replaced all the seals all the vaccume lines all the gas lines, polished all the nuts and bolts and now i have me a nice engine :-). Tossed it in my 84 and it went. So my vanagon is currently my daily driver. Welded flex plate and all. Daily driver... I even adjusted the afm to squeak alittle more mpg out of it. Im getting about 19 highway 17 city. I think its capable of closer to 20-22 mpg, but fine tuning will prevail that in time i suppose..... Now, back to the splitty. Also i should mention the day i got this vanagon running again the turbo went on my car. It was godsent :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

Nice job on finding a soulution! :D I was kind of wondering what happened to this thread. Glad to hear you have a running machine again. How's that water cooled heat?
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Six Volt wrote:Nice job on finding a soulution! :D I was kind of wondering what happened to this thread. Glad to hear you have a running machine again. How's that water cooled heat?
Hot enough that it damn near burns ur hands if put it under the heater :-)