Frank is "Haulin the Mail"

Hapybus

Re: Frank is "Haulin the Mail"

Post by Hapybus »

Ha Sean - yep that's the one. If you saw it u know how ruff it was

Story as I know it is Rooster bought it in Tn or so at a show. Put in an engine and 5 rib, sold it to a fellow in ky, who got in over his head, then either Randy bought it back or a fellow in south point (??) bought it, he did some welding of drip rail and a couple rockers then it may have gone back to Randy and sold to John baker in Cincinnati . I wanted it and JB sold it to me maybe 4 years ago.
certainly has been a challenge but one that we have tried to conquer.. If I can just make it roll again I will be very pleased. Oh and yes I think it's DAMN COOL looking
Thanks for you interest Sean
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Frank had it mostly right haha

Dude in KY got it, let it set..put it up for trade...I traded him a 72 westy for it. Had the panel for a couple months...fixed some stuff...then sold it, to Rooster to fund buying my squareback , he used the motor in his 62 camper...then he sold it off to JB

I hope I see this thing in person soon!
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Frank tell us the significance of the logo. You must be a mail carrier?
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
Hapybus

Post by Hapybus »

craig I am not a letter carrier nor an employye of the USPS. I operate a small mail handling company, where we comingle mail from large clients, sort it by the delivery zip and then hand it off to the PO. When I formed the company, I chose to use parts of the original logo of the Pony Express, and then PaintedBuswerks, the artist, chose to add the marlboro font, and then blow the pony rider up the side of the bus. Soooo, thats the origin.

To Seans story question... the rest of the story is this... This bus, as a friend in VA likes to say, is "pig in lipstick" This was NOT the right choice for a project like this, but I am not a quitter. Back in the day, I surmise, that this truck got t-boned very hard in the pass rear quarter. There is about three buckets of plastic inside the truck in the support rails.. when I first got it I saw all these drill holes in the rear qtr.. someone wanted to know how deep the filler was, and drilled about 100 holes all over. Due to the hard impact, the slider door and passenger door are jacked, there was stress put on the A and B pillar, and of course the C. The door that came with, was at one time bent in the middle to make it shut..didnt find that until we went to hang them again. The entire right side was toast.. rain gutter from mid back to the midlle of the slider.. now you know why it was flipped so many times... everyone else was/is smarter than me!
So I was left with a delimma... either let it sit.. or finish it. So, I re directed my retirement funding alllotment for Q1, into this truck. As the revenue man sees it, whether I direct money into an IRA or into a company owned rolling bill board, its all the same... and this way I get to play with my money.

A long winded expalnation for whats up... when you see it in person, an OINK is completely acce[ptable.
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

I dont think I drilled 100 holes...... :lol:
framingsilly

Post by framingsilly »

Thats cool Frank . At least you wont be afraid to use the bus . Looks cool though man ! Sweet job . :D
1972 weekender
1988 Vanagon
1968 Single cab
1984 Vanagon
1978 Transporter
1987 Cabrio
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Totally awesome!! That's all I gotta say!!
Randy

Post by Randy »

Drivin it yet?
62 EZ Camper
99 Rialta
67 Westy
71 Westy
83 Mexican Panel “Julio”
heyed67

Post by heyed67 »