RubyRedBus

71rubyredbus

spring cleaning reveals. everything my saturday revealed

Post by 71rubyredbus »

So this week I decided while I'm building funds to finish my drivetrain I would do alittle spring cleaning. There were a few suprises I was not expecting. For example Curious George Rides a Bike, or cancer causing gum... haha seriously. So here are some pictures I took on my 2 day dissasemble. Looks like I've got a sheet metal debocle in my future.
Attachments
And this isclean
And this isclean
Rear seat belt anchor
Rear seat belt anchor
Rear seat belt anchor
Rear seat belt anchor
And this is clean
And this is clean
This is clean..
This is clean..
This is clean
This is clean
Preparing for battle
Preparing for battle
The white lighter
The white lighter
Pile of camping stories
Pile of camping stories
2013-03-15 13.20.34.jpg
2013-03-15 13.20.26.jpg
Got frame?
Got frame?
71rubyredbus

Re: spring cleaning reveals. everything my saturday revealed

Post by 71rubyredbus »

The gum
Attachments
2013-03-16 15.31.40.jpg
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Excellent!!
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

That's a smart use of your time while your bus is down. May as well clean all you can, while you can. I'd even pull that last panel off and check the area where the floor meets the inner lower rocker. If it was me, I'd POR-15 that floor and then shoot it with a white or whatever you can find to match the original color. That POR-15 is great stuff to seal up any surface rust and you can paint right over it. You can clean all that wood with Murphy's before you put it back in. A lot of that camper wood veneer seems to suffer water damage in most buses. Looks like you're doing it right, so hang in there. With the early stuff, you can light sand it and then "polly" it. Not sure about that later camper wood veneer.

You'll be back on the road in no time. A lot of us are going to be breaking in a lot of our buses in the next two months. :D

As far as your wheel well holes, if you're going to restore the seat belt mounts you're going to have to weld in new metal with a nut to accept the male bolt for the belts. If you're not going to put the belts back in you can get away with fiberglass. I used it on the Lurchmobile. See here for my cheap approach to keeping water out at the bottom of this page.
http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=80
71rubyredbus

sheet metal help

Post by 71rubyredbus »

Ok so my baywindow the front bumper mounting point on pass. Side fell off. All the metal is rust there. I need some replacement tips. I think I need a floor up front and pretty much bottom of front panel. I think... any tips?
WideFive

Re: sheet metal help

Post by WideFive »

71rubyredbus wrote:... any tips?
Post some pictures :D
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
71rubyredbus

Post by 71rubyredbus »

This is my rust! I'm into iradification who is with me?
Attachments
Front of pass wheel
Front of pass wheel
Front of pass wheel
Front of pass wheel
Frame behind pass wheel
Frame behind pass wheel
Behind pass. Wheel
Behind pass. Wheel
In front.driver wheel
In front.driver wheel
Drivers side frame in front of water pipe behind wheel
Drivers side frame in front of water pipe behind wheel
Drivers behind front wheel
Drivers behind front wheel
Driverside corner
Driverside corner
Rust beard style
Rust beard style
Passenger door
Passenger door
Driver flinstone kit.  Came with bus
Driver flinstone kit. Came with bus
71rubyredbus

Post by 71rubyredbus »

How do I get that wood panel out of the channel? It is being difficult and I don't want to break it.
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

That's a relatively major amount of metal repair if you want to do it correctly. Honestly, I'd say drive the Bus this Summer, get the mechanical kinks worked out, buy the metal you need, gain the knowledge. Then tackle that metal work this Winter.

Otherwise if you jump into that now, in a few weeks when the weather breaks you're going to be bumming pretty hard as your Bus won't be anywhere near done. ... and I'll for damn sure rub it in too :lol:
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
blue71

Post by blue71 »

WideFive wrote:That's a relatively major amount of metal repair if you want to do it correctly. Honestly, I'd say drive the Bus this Summer, get the mechanical kinks worked out, buy the metal you need, gain the knowledge. Then tackle that metal work this Winter.
X2
If you really really want to do some metal work just do the bumper mount so it can be reattached and wait for the winter to do the rest of the metalwork.

Aaron can be relentless, don't give him any more ammunition that he already has ;)
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super