Parker Beene Deluxe

parker beene

Re: Parker Beene Deluxe

Post by parker beene »

I know I promised updates! Last summer ended up with me spending my money very poorly which is another story for another day! I'm sure everyone is tired of my excuses haha but this summer will be the beginning of some actual work. the garage I was renting during the winter was not level to do work in and was demolished this spring, I have the bus back home and tomorrow I am meeting with someone for a garage that is local with a 220 outlet, level floors and ventilation! It is very nice and I hope it works out.

My first item on the agenda is to start metal repair with a mig my friend is loaning me. and to rebuild my engine into a dual port 1600 for now. I'm currently looking at kits such as:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/Product/ ... ion_300184

let me know if you guys have any suggestions again as awlays I appreciate your support guys! photos to come soon!

PS. I go to college in lock haven which is two hours from home, and now have a full time internship with the department of health in home for the summer! just an update on what's going on with me.

alrighty guys! look forward to hearing from you!
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
RIS

Post by RIS »

I would disassemble your engine first and determine what can be reused before deciding on any engine "rebuild kit".

Example: You may have a nice German crank in the core that could still measure standard and just need a good polish. The rebuild kit will come with a reground crank, which is fine, but how much is it ground? Might end up with a crank .030 or .040 undersize. I'd take the standard size crank any day.

And the "remanufactured" heads in the kit. I like how they include Zero details on what is done to rebuild the heads.

MidAmerica is not doing the machine work in house, the rebuilt/reground/remanufactured parts are coming from a third party. Who? GEX, West Coast Core, ???

I think for $800 + shipping you could do much better if you piece together your own kit. You'll have better quality parts and probably save a few bucks to spend elsewhere.
Richard Sedoris - VW Performance & Machine - Youngstown, OH
http://rismachine.tumblr.com/
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Dude, if you're doing metal work you have a LONG way to go before thinking about the engine. Do the mig work so you can get your PA inspection, then get the brakes and safety stuff done. Meanwhile keep an eye open for a used motor. I'm assuming you're doing this on a budget, but even with my total restoration I ran a used motor and the original (phucked up) tranny for the first summer and then installed a fresh motor and trans the next winter. Don't buy parts more than 60 days ahead of when you need them. Unless you have cash to burn, of course, and even then it's not a good idea because you lose shit while you're sitting on it for a long time.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
parker beene

Post by parker beene »

I had my engine disassembled and will post pictures with it laid out with what I have. I had it tested by a facility and cleaned if it had any cracks in the case, and it was deemed alright.

I'll research some more
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
parker beene

Post by parker beene »

hey guys I found a really cheap welder! I'm looking for one so I can do some stuff myself on the bus and I wanted to know if this one would work for me?\https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/5119230556.html
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
parker beene

Post by parker beene »

got some stuff yesterday like new tires and a new hatch, photo's to come soon!
Attachments
11215704_1451074711882077_7391169056922690274_n.jpg
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

parker beene wrote: a really cheap welder! I wanted to know if this one would work for me?\https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/5119230556.html
You get what you pay for.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

I'd personally buy a Miller
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi