Parker Beene Deluxe

parker beene

Re: Parker Beene Deluxe

Post by parker beene »

also another question.

I just bought new horse hair and seat covers (expensive :o :oops: ) and i plan on going to a local hot rod facility to sand blast and powder coat my old bucket seats, and just let them assemble the seats there, i've seen plenty of their work and it's really great!
SO my question is. . . how much do you think would be a good price for just sandblasting two buckets seats, and powder coating them? I want to make sure i'm not going to be paying too much, i haven't gotten an estimate from them yet.

Also i will post more photos of my latest wolfsburg west order! :D
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Is this 1600dp being built by the same shop who didn't know engine codes?

TRL wrote:...don't expect carbs new or used to just bolt on and work.
But Rick, my used Kadrons work just fine ;) Wait, maybe that's because Aaron installed them back when I didn't really know what an M-code plate was, let alone where to find one :lol: I agree that a simple single carb with matched distributor would be best to start out with to keep your stress level low.

parker beene wrote:...sandblast and powder coat my seat frames, and just let them assemble the seats there, I've seen plenty of their work and it's really great...
I would find a way to blast and/or wire wheel the frames myself, prime them, and paint them. Nobody will really see the powder coating. Yes it lasts for a long time, but will they get it in the seat tracks and then you have to chip it out of them to make the seats move correctly? Maybe splits don't have a seat track like a bay or bug, and I'm wrong on that front. There are plenty of helpful threads on thesamba and many of the seat cover makers have tutorials on how to install them. It just takes patience. One guy in MI on thegoodvolks recently did his own 1969 bay window front seats and the results are pretty damn good.

It's also been done with great results and partly documented on here already:

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic. ... seat+cover

Why overextend your finances, especially if you're a student, by paying somebody else to do something that you can do yourself with patience and some light reading?
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Parker:

Take note of the good advice you're getting on this forum. Make a list of what's important to get your bus on the road and concentrate on those items to save your budget. Seat covers and dual carbs are nice but those should be at the bottom of the list, not at the top. I'd suggest finding a used motor to put in rather than getting yours reman to save money also. You've got tons of things you HAVE to fix that should be at the top of the list- brakes, electrical and safety items that cannot be overlooked. Forget the dual carbs, fresh motor and seat covers, get it on the road with a used engine for a few hundred and work with that for a while. If you start at the wrong end of the list your cash will run out before you ever get it on the road. ;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Ken

Post by Ken »

Parker,
Dual Port hit the nail on the head. Take it from some of us "old timers". Get it running, driving, and most importantly stopping, and make sure all the lights and safety devices are working properly. That way you can have fun driving it and getting familiar with it while you are saving money and taking care of all the details. As a bonus, prices are going no where but up, especially on the Deluxes, so it could be a very good investment in the long run.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
parker beene

Post by parker beene »

blue71 wrote:Is this 1600dp being built by the same shop who didn't know engine codes?
Yes, however it is being done by an older gentleman named Pete, he is from Germany and is really cool! My buddy really recommends him, he has helped our aircooled community quite a bit and is quite knowledgeable.

But you guys are all very correct, I NEED TO GET THIS BABY ON THE ROAD!!

I just have metal seat frames so i figured i'd get the ones i wanted. But I'm gonna focus more on the brakes and pull the tranny out when there isn't 2 ft of snow around the bus. I wish i could get away with the rust like you guys do haha :roll:

But no you guys are all definitely right, just focus on getting it on the road. Thanks for the input again! I appreciate it a lot!! Just ell me how it is! :lol:

And as always, MORE TO COME!! :D
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
parker beene

Post by parker beene »

got some packages in the mail recently: wolfsburg west! Some new window seals, window set up, seat cover/horse hair. And some metal for the time being.

Looking at some disk conversion:

https://bustoration.3dcartstores.com/mo ... _1888.html

And Rancho Trans:
https://ranchotransaxles.com/rancho-new ... way-flyer/
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 1 (1).JPG
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Cool! Glad to see you have parts ready to go in. Do you have a mig and a garage to work in? Are you doing the floors before it drives, or after this summer?

I like the idea of a disc conversion and tranny in the long run, but don't forget:
parker beene wrote:I NEED TO GET THIS BABY ON THE ROAD!!
;)

Keep on it! :D
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

PA has their own version of an MOT, so rust will have to be addressed before it can be declared road worthy.

Looks like you are pushing ahead Parker, the end will be here before you know it.

Like Bruce said, those are nice additions, but getting that van on the road should be priority number 1. All those ancillary upgrades can be done during the winter months, when the bus is sleeping.

For the terrain out by you, the disk brake conversion is almost a must. That would rank high on my list of things to do, after you get it tagged and driving.

Just my 2£
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
parker beene

Post by parker beene »

Don't worry ladies and gents, I'm looking at a garage here, gonna be jacking the bus up and getting some work done.

you can expect some updates in the near future
65' 13 Window Deluxe SWR
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Updates?
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro