1967 Beetle aka The Ebay Bandit

Ken

Re: 1967 Beetle aka The Ebay Bandit

Post by Ken »

blue71 wrote:Spoke too soon. The choke element is broken internally, time for a new one. So that's leading to my stalling I'd imagine. Plus the fuel filter is slowly filling up with more rust after doing the sock removal. Time to get yet another fuel filter, take the fuel pump apart to clean its fuel filter, and again tear the carb apart to clean/check it for bits of crap.

We had a similar rust in the tank problem with the 67 Westy (the Regismobile). it also sat outside for a couple years before we got it. We just kept changing the fuel filters and eventually the problem went away.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Thanks Ken. I really don't want to bring the gas tank somewhere to be sealed or buy a new one. I'll do the filter trick and dig in my tiny box of junk for a choke element.

I took the filter out of the fuel pump and partly disassembled it on the engine to clean out rust flakes. It was clogged just like brass sock in the bottom of the tank. Every time I change the plastic filter I'll be checking the fuel pump filter as well.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Pull the tank(it's only 4 bolts, 2 lines and sender cable) and pressure wash it, install a BIG metal filter at the tank and another smaller filter before the pump. This will knock the big chunks loose and the large filter will take care of the rest.
blue71

Post by blue71 »

I'll put a filter before the pump by the transmission sometime this weekend. I've already had the tank out once to replace the hose underneath it and to remove the clogged sock from the bottom of it. I tried to put one under the tank but was having trouble getting things to lineup without kinking the hose and squishing the filter when doing it by myself. I'm in the process of ordering that brass sock and some other little bits I'm going to need so I'll be busy again when I have free time...
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

blue71

Post by blue71 »

Fuel filter is ok, there is not a bunch of junk plugging it up and it doesn't empty of gas causing starvation. I took out the choke element to make sure the guts of it weren't broken, they were ok. It idled fine for half an hour in the parking lot after resetting the choke element and setting the mixture. The passenger side G55 jet isn't plugged. The little filter in the fuel pump is clean and there isn't any sediment built up inside it blocking any passages.

After doing this, I decided to try to drive it. It didn't make it out of the parking lot. It backed up ok and went into 1st alright. I know it was first and not third because I hit my knee with the shifter. Then when letting off the clutch and stepping on the gas it decided to die. I had to pump the pedal to get it to start up again, where it didn't want to go anywhere in first.

I'll have to take the carb apart tomorrow and check the main and air out the passages (my Rainier has a mini air compressor with many fittings to fill tires, footballs, etc in the back.)

Six Volt

Post by Six Volt »

blue71 wrote:Fuel filter is ok, there is not a bunch of junk plugging it up and it doesn't empty of gas causing starvation. I took out the choke element to make sure the guts of it weren't broken, they were ok. It idled fine for half an hour in the parking lot after resetting the choke element and setting the mixture. The passenger side G55 jet isn't plugged. The little filter in the fuel pump is clean and there isn't any sediment built up inside it blocking any passages.

After doing this, I decided to try to drive it. It didn't make it out of the parking lot. It backed up ok and went into 1st alright. I know it was first and not third because I hit my knee with the shifter. Then when letting off the clutch and stepping on the gas it decided to die. I had to pump the pedal to get it to start up again, where it didn't want to go anywhere in first.

I'll have to take the carb apart tomorrow and check the main and air out the passages (my Rainier has a mini air compressor with many fittings to fill tires, footballs, etc in the back.)
I'd still pull the tank as Toolbox suggested. I'd go farther and take it to a radiator shop and be done with it. :lol:

While were at it, what about the distributor and carb match. All ok on that end? The 30 Solex is certainly simple like the old 28's, but are you running a 009 with it? Or a stock vacuum/mechanical advance? As you know, even with a clean tank, a (carb-distributor) miss-match can cause problems.
blue71

Post by blue71 »

It's a vacuum advance distributor with a good can and a Solex 30-pict2. The shop here who inspected it and fixed the clutch tube for me adjusted the valves and set the timing. It ran fine for them when driving it around. It also ran decent for me on my drive from the shop to my apartment. It just seems to fricken hate me. I'll be checking the float level on the carb too when it's apart tonight. I used the same washer thickness during the rebuild as when the carb was used on my 70 bus (no issues on Olaf). Since everything is a damn hill out here that may attribute to my problems along with the tank sediment that's slowly being drained out?

In other news, the folks who owned it back in the 1980s before I was born are still alive and happy to hear the car is somewhat functional.

10pm edit:

The carb bowl was full of sediment as you guys predicted, it's all clean now. I also blew out the passages and removable jets using the mini air compressor that's part of my daily driver. The gas level was ~19mm level as I read on thesamba for the float setting. We'll see how it drives tomorrow after work and if it can handle all these hellish hills.

blue71

Post by blue71 »

What's been going on with this thing:

I drove it last weekend and it didn't want to make it up the damn hill to where I live, yet it had before. After lots of playing (carb was clean) I finally made it home. It died in first going up the hill. I again checked the float level and all that fun stuff.

Cleaned tank with pressure washer, some junk came out and it looks decent now.
Got a fuel tank sock from a shop in town and some trim bits I was missing.
2013-06-29 13.16.26.jpg
2013-06-29 13.17.24.jpg
Determined the heater box levers are rusted so the heat is always on, need to fix that issue. Yes it does indeed actually work to make 90 degree days even warmer.

While checking the heat exchangers I found a wonderful :roll: surprise of another clear filter in line by the transmission. It was black and full of sediment. I replaced it. I haven't had the 67 on the jack yet because it was buried in my storage closet. Maybe this will solve some of my problems with it dying on me going up hill?

So in total this thing now has 4 filters for fuel and a pressure washed tank: fuel tank mesh sock, plastic filter by transmission, filter in fuel pump, and a plastic filter after the pump.

Next is the windshield after I watch more videos on how to replace them, then figuring out the wiper armature.

SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Dude...remove some of those filters :shock:
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
blue71

Post by blue71 »

You mean there are too many of them :?: :lol: I have to get a meter of the right German fuel line during the week when the VW places are open, then go with just the one in the rebuildable fuel pump and the one in the tank since they're both new. The inline ones are there to bridge the cuts in the line where somebody had inserted them before.