1967 Beetle aka The Ebay Bandit

CraigOnTheBoat

Re: 1967 Beetle aka The Ebay Bandit

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Make sure that tank is clean . The pressure washer
Might not reach all the areas inside.

Throw a handful of large washers, a chain
Marbles, x girlfriends ring, rocks,spare change in there
Shake the hell out if it with soapy water added.

Rinse it out and repeat 45 times or until your arms are so tired
You can no longer even hold a beer then rinse again and you might be good.
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

CraigOnTheBoat wrote:Make sure that tank is clean

Ditto. Drywall screws work well because they have a lot of sharp edges. I'd leave the fuel filter by the tranny......

;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

I do like Craig said. I'd think drywall screws would be a PITA to get out of the tank, unless they make short ones.

When you are done seal that pig up with some POR15 Tank Sealer. I've had great success with the stuff in many VW tanks and motorcycle tanks. Holds up against race gas too. I don't follow the directions and use all that other prep stuff they sell. Just straight up sealer after cleaning the tank and making sure it's 100% dry.
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Will do!
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Waiting on a choke to come in the mail and to buy some fuel line next week.

Wipers didn't work due to a bad ground and seized pivot. Now they work flawlessly.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

blue71

Post by blue71 »

A few parts came in the mail today and got installed. Namely a domelight (it works fine after some bulb contact tweaking) and a new Brosol Brazilian choke. The choke looks awfully strange where the spade terminal comes out of the housing. There's white epoxy or something everywhere holding the plastic block in place. As long as it works I don't care. Now to get some fuel line and it'll be back on the road.

Also, after looking at the radio I decided to take a photo. It's some sort of EMPI item. After doing a search on thesamba, apparently they're somewhat rare? Beats me. I put these photos in an old EMPI radio thread too to keep it's existence with other members of its kind.

From thesamba thread:
Stevie Fierce wrote:here's a nice couple of pics from the gallery, not in an oval but nice.

Mine:

After looking them up, wow.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... empi+radio

blue71

Post by blue71 »

I've been replacing fuel line slowly but surely when it's not 95+ outside. All the line from the tank to the pump inlet side has been replaced and hose clamped. I'll be getting some more and doing the pump to carb segment last.

Is it normal for the gas to bubble and squirt into the filter and never fill it, even a little, if the filter is between the carb and pump? Or is a fuel pump in my future? I'm slowly forgetting way too many VW things :/

Here's a video, you just have to click on it.

Yes, this will be redone soon. It's currently like this to easily observe for any sediment coming out of the tank after a more vigorous cleaning (no POR15 coating.) So far it's been clean after running in the parking lot for a long time.

Also took the radio out and the insides look good. There aren't any broken/popped resistors etc that I can see.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Looks normal to me, it's not starving it'self for fuel is it? If not, then I would not worry about it. For peace of mind you can always rent a fp gauge from auto zone to check your pump pressure, usually around 3-5 psi.
blue71

Post by blue71 »

Thanks Josh.

No starvation problems that I can tell or have experienced. Just the darn problems going up these hills in first gear.

blue71

Post by blue71 »

For those that are curious, this is what it looks like inside. I just took a few photos to see if anything is popped or broken. It all seems to look to be in good shape. The face plate photos are of the back of it, not the black front. They show the part number and that it's not dremel tool cut out to fit so it must be original.

This radio has probably been in the car car longer than I've been alive.