1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Mike Kever Kombi

Re: 1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

obsoleteman wrote:If it is not just sitting on the surface (and toxic plastic), can it really protect the wood?
Well...Probably...yes... The Minwax will make a deep protective bond. And yes, My grandmother would have used it (but are we old enough to not be embarrassed by that fact ?).
I do not think anyone is embarrassed about waxing their wood, hence the lengthy discussion.
obsoleteman wrote: "Stabilize, protect and preserve"...I think it will be a sound choice(and besides, you will have my Grandmothers approval).
It is very important to use the proper protection on your wood

Tom Tested. Grandma Approved.
Tom Tested. Grandma Approved.
image.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent official policy or position of the original poster, subsequent responders, or Leakoil. The responses made are done so without malfeasance, libel, or intent to cause harm, either physically, mentally or, emotionally. No animals were harmed in any of the responding comments.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Josh

Post by Josh »

wwebner wrote:You might want to look into a product called Waterlox. It is mostly tung oil.
Many years ago when I worked in a restoration shop,I was tasked with refinishing the wood in the older Roll's and Packards. This is what I used. It takes several coats,so it is not quick,24hrs between coats. Lite sanding or 000 steel wool between coats. The first coats penetrate as opposed to "laying on top" of the surface. No need for sealer or finish coats,just one product. Satin or gloss finish
http://www.waterlox.com/products-item/w ... inish.aspx
X2 on the waterlox. I used it to finish my wood floor in my house, good stuff. I was high for weeks! I got it at the hardware store on E71st and Harvard, Rudy's I believe.
obsoleteman

Post by obsoleteman »

Josh Knows; Use Tung Oil...and the job is licked.
Josh wrote:
wwebner wrote:You might want to look into a product called Waterlox. It is mostly tung oil.
Many years ago when I worked in a restoration shop,I was tasked with refinishing the wood in the older Roll's and Packards. This is what I used. It takes several coats,so it is not quick,24hrs between coats. Lite sanding or 000 steel wool between coats. The first coats penetrate as opposed to "laying on top" of the surface. No need for sealer or finish coats,just one product. Satin or gloss finish
http://www.waterlox.com/products-item/w ... inish.aspx
X2 on the waterlox. I used it to finish my wood floor in my house, good stuff. I was high for weeks! I got it at the hardware store on E71st and Harvard, Rudy's I believe.
Mike Kever Kombi

obsoleteman wrote:Josh Knows; Use Tung Oil...and the job is licked.

Apropos.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Rudy's hardware closed last year so he could go full time selling Rolls Royce parts....

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index ... lavic.html
Josh

Post by Josh »

You can also buy it at the ace hardware on turney rd in Garfield hts
Marla

Post by Marla »

Josh wrote:You can also buy it at the ace hardware on turney rd in Garfield hts
Thanks Bill and Josh, I might check this stuff out for some furniture refinishing I have planned. Looks great, nice floors.

I should be done taking the clear coat off of all of the cabinets this weekend. Aside from some minor touch up in some areas, I only have the wash basin left (I saved the worst for last). I will post pictures after they are completely stripped.

Thank you everyone for such wonderful commentary and advice.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Josh wrote:
I used it to finish my wood floor in my house, good stuff.
There's an awful lot of waves in that floor, couldn't you have done a better job block sanding it?
:D
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Marla

Post by Marla »

Here's an update on the cabinet work...

I finished stripping and sanding everything to get the clear coat off. Then I bleached out the areas where there was water stains and cleaned all of the mold off the bottoms and backs. I bought some edge banding and replaced it where it was either missing, or severely damaged keeping the original in as many areas as possible. I had some help with the installation of the edge banding because I had never done it before. I then put a coat of natural stain on everything (well, I will finish that tonight) to bring out the natural grain and color of the wood.

Here are some photos of the progress...
Attachments
Reminder of the Wardrobe - Before (Main Reason for Starting This Little Project)
Reminder of the Wardrobe - Before (Main Reason for Starting This Little Project)
Wardrobe Stripped and Sanded
Wardrobe Stripped and Sanded
Installing Edge Banding
Installing Edge Banding
Edge Banding Trimmed
Edge Banding Trimmed
Edge Banding Trimmed
Edge Banding Trimmed
Staining Cooler Cabinet
Staining Cooler Cabinet
Wash Basin Cabinet Facing Rear
Wash Basin Cabinet Facing Rear
Wash Basin Cabinet Facing Cargo Doors
Wash Basin Cabinet Facing Cargo Doors
Cooler Cabinet Facing Rear Hatch
Cooler Cabinet Facing Rear Hatch
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Mike Kever Kombi

Wow. Good job, looks great!
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia