1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Marla

Re: 1960 SO-23 A.K.A. Gunther

Post by Marla »

I have read a lot of reviews on brake kits. I think these will serve me well.

The spindles have been dropped off at Aaron's - #Widefive to give them a once over. Thanks guys!
Attachments
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Marla

Post by Marla »

Front Spindles are done. Cleaned up and link pins replaced. Thanks Aaron.

IMG_3975.JPG
IMG_3975.JPG (99.06 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
It's Marla with an " L"
WideFive

Post by WideFive »

Thanks for letting me be a small part of your Bus :D
"There is no restoration process that can give a car legitimacy equal to originality."
Marla

Post by Marla »

Got some photos on the front disc brake install progress. This is looking really nice.

IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG

Here is a photo of the drivers door handle, finally got the lock cylinder replaced. The handles were sent out to Justin with VW Key Locksmith in PA. The ignition key was pretty worn out so he cut a new factory key for me and made sure all of the handles work with it. All handles and ignition work with one key. This is project that I meant to do a few years ago as well.

IMG_3983.JPG

Really tempted to get back to the original paint colors on this bus. Seeing the SWR peeking through in small spots has me getting an itch to go down to original paint just to see what is there. A paint job in the future is needed regardless. This is a spot that was picked at a little just see the color of the SWR.

IMG_3984.JPG
It's Marla with an " L"
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Looks like a nice brake kit and new kingpins is a good idea, I'm sure you'll be really happy with how it drives. Keys are a problem for me, Bus 1 uses 3 keys :roll: and Bus 2 doesn't even lock. Honestly, I never lock either one anyway as they're so easy to break into. Bus 1 and 2 use different ignition switches and key numbers but I accidentally found either key will start either bus. WTF?

Are you going to shoot the rear corners or do the whole bus?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
CraigOnTheBoat

Post by CraigOnTheBoat »

Your in good hands with Kaput. I love my disc brakes
64 Campmobile
87 Syncro
TRL

Post by TRL »

Yay for keys! brakes are meh...
The Rick Lang
Marla

Post by Marla »

Are you going to shoot the rear corners or do the whole bus?
I am considering doing the exterior of the whole bus. If not then just do the bad spots and blend.

Bruce, your key is probably just really worn down. My key was able to pull out of the ignition while it was running. If you email Justin Baughman at vwkey@yahoo.com he probably get it all sorted out. He is very quick and reasonable too.

Baughman Locksmith
1201 S. 9th Street
Altoona PA 16602
814-931-8538

I actually did my locks because the cylinder fell out while I was trying to fix the pin in my handle when I first bought the bus. The springs and paddles flew everywhere. It had been an empty hole since then.

Brakes are essential workers. :lol:
It's Marla with an " L"
Marla

Post by Marla »

I managed to get a little bus and garage time in while home for the holidays this round. I decided to take the 60 year old, 6v gas Eberspacher out of the bus so that I can make room for an updated diesel heater. I am still torn between Eberspacher and the Webasto heaters but will probably fall on one or the other. Both get comparable reviews, are German made and have been around for a long time.

Taking the old unit out was a little bit of a challenge, but I managed to get it removed and the area cleaned. Next time I am home I will prep, paint and hopefully install a new unit with a small diesel tank in this same area, under the front seat. This was a Canadian delivery bus with the cold weather option listed on the birth certificate. They would use these heaters while driving to keep warm. My intention is just to use it on chilly nights while camping.

Here are some pics for reference.

The original unit in place.
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG

Dirty Bus...
IMG_4300.JPG
Cleaner Bus...
IMG_4302.JPG
It's Marla with an " L"
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Make Craig update his thread about his heater install and we can compare the two when you're finished.
I like the idea under the front seat, especially since the duct is existing already, I hope you have enough room under there.
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi