Take it from dad......1986 Syncro Westfalia

vw7266

Take it from dad......1986 Syncro Westfalia

Post by vw7266 »

A wise man who wasn't my father once told me "Take it from dad you do not want a syncro" Turns out he wasn't as smart as he thought he was because syncros are the shizzzzzzzzzznit, and I just bought another one.

Heres the short story...I got a message last weekend on Samba and this was offered to me. I said yes...I drove 13hrs round trip yesterday and dropped a wad of cash and brought it home. I plan on getting it running hopefully as its sat for a few years. Its got some really cool features which I'll detail later this evening after its off the trailer. If you see this and fall in love message me now because the price is only going up after I start on it. Big thanks to Rooster for letting me borrow his trailer for a couple of days!

As Bruce would say 13hrs so far into this project
Attachments
image (1).jpg
image.jpg
image (2).jpg
Crapatron

Re: Take it from dad......1986 Syncro Westfalia

Post by Crapatron »

I just "pre'd" a little......

Watching this thread. Keep the info coming.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I'm not really a Syncro guy or a Westy guy, but I certainly can see the attraction, a 4WD camper would allow exploring areas not generally open to mainstream vehicles.

The way I count, you haven't started yet. :)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

vw7266 wrote:you cant hide money
But you were waiting for that ;)
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Kirk I was expecting it...thanks for being that guy for me :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I took a half day off work today and Randy came buy and helped me rescue it from the trailer...
So what makes this thing really cool is that Im pretty sure it was a euro delivery...so Im thinking it toured europe for a bit in its life...It has some cool stuff like porta potty cabinet. And it has front and rear behr air condtioners, and a grey water tanks

As for stuff someone else has added its has, south african grills upper and lower, SA wheels, BFG tires, life springs, Old man emu shocks, Fiamma Awning, thule rack.

Worked today on putting the seats, carpet, cabinet doors etc and sorting through the piles of stuff I got with it. 6hrs today

so Im at 19 total hrs now

vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

Crapatron

Post by Crapatron »

oh Dang! thats and interesting combo. keep the photos coming........
OldBluT2

Post by OldBluT2 »

That's a nice score. I'd be lying if I said I don't want a Syncro. I think I'd prefer a Weekender, but I wouldn't be too picky. If they don't pave my street soon I'm going to need one!
'91 Vanagon Carat
'15 Jetta TSI

Others I wish I'd have had the space and money to keep:
'56 Single Cab, '68 Double Cab, '71 Hardtop Westy, '77 Pop-up Westy, '98 New Beetle, '07 Rabbit
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

I agree with you on weekenders, they are my preference. The 87 syncro behind the white one was a full westy but the interior was trashed and my parts car was a weekender so I converted it over and ditched the camper junk
vw7266

Post by vw7266 »

I love finding stuff like this in busses

Tonight i replaced the fuel pump and got it started up..then got into some nasty stuff that i will detail tomorrow.......

Oh yeah 4 more hours

So im at 23 total

Watch out bruce im comin for ya