Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other changes...

heyed67

Re: Because I want to go 70 mph on a budget and other change

Post by heyed67 »

I used the old harness to pull the new thru the frame there over the front axel..its easer with 2 people 1 feeding thru and 1 pulling the rest back..
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Kirk wrote: It made a night and day difference and well worth the time to do it all right. They don't leave you any extra length so it's very important to route all the wires per original. I used their sketches along with the Bentley for wiring diagrams. Take your time

Ditto. Did you take pics before removing the old harness? If not, I have a bunch from mine that might help, I shot virtually every inch so I will know the exact routing as it goes through the bus. It's a smart move to change the harness, I did it on my Ghia and it was easy. The new harness comes with a drawing that helps considerably as Kirk pointed out. I also suggest a 40a Megafuse main fuse installed in the hot feed near the rear of the bus as VW overlooked this at the factory. I wrote a detailed article about this if you're interested.
Good Luck!
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
TRL

Post by TRL »

Great guys, thanks. I did as much homework as I could on the samba and my Bentley, I plan on printing big exploded diagrams. And taking my time
The Rick Lang
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

TRL wrote:I did as much homework as I could

Do homework son
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
TRL

Post by TRL »

So do to several work projects I haven't been working on the bus much but I have a little break now so I got cracking again. I decided to hold off on the new wiring harness until i get the bus back on 4 wheels. So with the new goal of getting 4 wheels on I started by pulling the stock beam off and installing the new W5 beam. Next I just wanted quickly prep the straight axle trans to be put in with a few new gaskets, bearings, and a quick parts inspection. I bought a cheap universal puller from HF and it worked well to pull the bearing and axle tube off. Then I fought with those PITA snap rings that hold the axle into the diff for a few minutes and now I can start cleaning and painting things.
Attachments
Pulling the axle tube and bearing off together.
Pulling the axle tube and bearing off together.
The snap rings can be a frustrating and painful things. If things dont go well walk away for a few minutes! I also feel propping up the axle to keep it level helps.
The snap rings can be a frustrating and painful things. If things dont go well walk away for a few minutes! I also feel propping up the axle to keep it level helps.
Sometimes the axle carrier comes out with the axle. Others you have to wiggle out by hand.
Sometimes the axle carrier comes out with the axle. Others you have to wiggle out by hand.
The Rick Lang
Josh

Post by Josh »

That was a rebuilt trans, you shouldn't have to do any of that stuff.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Josh wrote:That was a rebuilt trans, you shouldn't have to do any of that stuff.
Agreed, everything looks great. Ill have it back together soon after i get i few bits painted.
The Rick Lang
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Any updates?
TRL

Post by TRL »

Busjunky wrote:Any updates?
Well after several work trips, a crash course in beetle axle tubes and backing plates. Progress has been slow...
The Rick Lang
TRL

Post by TRL »

So not to many pictures. For the setup i needed I had to swap out axle tubes to a 68' only style. The tubes themselves are the same length as earlier ones but, the end casting where the tubes bolts to the spring plate are offset more and give more clearance. And Widefive's spring plates are great with the built in shock mounts. I also went with IRS beetle backing plates, pads, and late beetle front cylinders in the rear for the most stopping power. Renewed the shift linkages with new plastics guides and couplers. What a difference over the old sloppy shifting! Got the front end all set but need to adjust the drag link some to get the wheel straightned out. Just have to get it on the ground. Put the new Kennedy clutch and new pressure plate on. Get motor in and measure for shocks. Getting close to rolling again.... Finally...
Attachments
The plastic shift bushing on the front shift rod. Snap ring goes on the front side and the two bushings go on the rear shift rod for my bus. Earlier buses and later buses have different setups.
The plastic shift bushing on the front shift rod. Snap ring goes on the front side and the two bushings go on the rear shift rod for my bus. Earlier buses and later buses have different setups.
Thing drums on the rear
Thing drums on the rear
Nicole helping out by torquing down the the tubes.
Nicole helping out by torquing down the the tubes.
The Rick Lang