My daughters 67 deluxe

tferr

Re: My daughters 67 deluxe

Post by tferr »

Well I haven't given up on this pile ...but it has turned into a full blown PITA
I decided I couldn't live with myself if I didn't fix this crap.The A pillars were a disaster from the guy who put on the aftermarket skin. He cut through is so many spots they are unsavable.
IMG_2375 by tferr58, on Flickr

Luckily I had a super clean donor that I had been saving as a wall hanger I undid the pinch welds and peeled the skin off

IMG_2378 by tferr58, on Flickr

IMG_2379 by tferr58, on Flickr

I am currently fabricating some pieces to replace the inside window channel This is a bit of a slow process you can see how bad they are in this pic
IMG_2381 by tferr58, on Flickr

Lots of work ahead of me ..but on the bright side I did pick up a very nice middle seat for 200 bucks

Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone
Tom
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Holy smokes, you've jumped in with both feet on this one. Shouldn't you have cross bracing installed to prevent misalignment of the A pillar as things go back together? You'll probably need to have the doors hung as you're tacking/welding the floor and doglegs into place......

Keep up the good work!

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
tferr

Post by tferr »

Dual Port wrote:. Shouldn't you have cross bracing installed to prevent misalignment of the A pillar as things go back together? You'll probably need to have the doors hung as you're tacking/welding the floor and doglegs into place......

Keep up the good work!

:mrgreen:
Hey Bruce ..Yeah I couldn't brace them as they were.. the nose skin was on incorrectly...off centered the a pillars had been pulled to line it up ...it was just a mess.
I have a pretty good blow up of the dimensions and I have a set of large trammels to use for the measuring.
I am sure I will be doing a lot of on and off with the doors and with the doglegs...not looking forward to it.

Are you getting close for paint?
tferr

Post by tferr »

slow but sure
valance racket by tferr58, on Flickr

outer valance by tferr58, on Flickr

nose fitting by tferr58, on Flickr

I have been fighting back issues all winter as well as getting flash everytime I weld. Bought a new helmet but still having issues. These old eyes must be getting more sensitive
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Judging by the welds, those old eyes aren't that bad.....

Keep up the good work!

;)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

tferr wrote:
I have been [...] getting flash everytime I weld. Bought a new helmet but still having issues. These old eyes must be getting more sensitive
I was experiencing similar "flash" issues as well. Turns out it was reflection from the backstop I was using to shield arc from passer by's, then reflecting off inside of helmet. I took an old leather welding apron, and cut it into a cowl for the back of the helmet, so no light gets in. Worked a treat.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
tferr

Post by tferr »

Yeah I just recently sewed an "arab hat" on the back of my helmet. I got flash the worst I have ever had a month or so ago when I was inside the treasure chest of the single cab I am doing. I attributed it to the bounce inside there. Man my eyes hurt just recalling that
TRL

Post by TRL »

I know the feeling. Rebuilt all of the cross tube supports of one our semi trailers and had to weld in many tight and odd spots. I had to make a head cover because of that the glare and sparks. If all else fails ditch the auto dark helmet lens and go old school with a solid lens. They are harder to see out of but sometimes worth it.
The Rick Lang
tferr

Post by tferr »

Well 2 years since I touched this bus...no excuses...lets get to it
Does anyone have a good picture of how the right side b pillar.. inner and outer cargo rocker all meet up with the top hat and outrigger.
What i really need to see is how far forward the inner rocker goes.
I dont have any buses left to go look at
Thanks in advance

I did pick up a new toy so I better make some progress
Attachments
20160102_161846.jpg
WestsideDan

Post by WestsideDan »