My New Project

wwebner

Re: My New Project

Post by wwebner »

If you intend to use this engine,it looks like your in for a complete tear down and rebuild.You did not mention what year this engine is.2L was 76-79.
If the part # on the heads is
071 101 371a or 371b you may want to find other heads. those are 79 thru 83 aircooled and the 79 bus has one year only heater boxes which are NLA.
if the pt# is 022 101 372g you have a 76-78
Do you have an engine in the bus that you are restoring? I can give you more info Thurs.
Bill
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

[off topic] holy cow 3rd Thursday is early this month [/off topic]

:resume:
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Bil
The engine came out of a 78 camper the one in Vally City.
It is a GE serial number
Heads have square ports.
I do have some heads out of a 914 porshe part number or type unknown.
I know Chuck mentioned something about the square ports...
Heater boxes I have are junk.
My bus is a 75.
With any luck I will find some time to split the cases before Thursday.
Any pointers?
I believe they have been split before. There is some black / gray case sealing product around the seam. I don't think that is factory.
I appreciate your advise.
Thanks
Eric
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Simple rule for splitting type 4 engine cases, after you remove all the peripherals & the top end parts then remove all the case bolts/nuts, oil pump & when you are certain you have removed all the fasteners... go back and remove the last two, I usually hit the case with a plastic dead blow mallet it should begin to split open, if it doesn't look like its opening check again for something you missed and avoid the temptation to try to pry the halves apart...
Mike Kever Kombi

Read this thread ( if you have not already)

There is a lot of valuable information here ( just don't tell Chuck I said that)

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2727
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

The 2 case bolts that you will miss are behind the flywheel/drive plate just above the cam plug,which is a bolt and nut and one in the valley on the bottom side on the driver side of engine between the 2 center push rod/lifter bores,which is a long bolt that threads into the other case half.This one also holds the oil pick up tube.It is often bent when someone over torques the oil strainer cover,which then crushes the center cam bearing. You will also need a special holding fixture to hold the drive plate (automatic) although you may be able to get the special head bolts out without it since your engine does not rotate :lol: All type 4 cases are interchangeable regardless of displacement. A 78 SHOULD have oval port heads. Post a picture of the exhaust ports and we can verify what you have.
If the 914 heads that you have are 1.7 or 1.8 they are VW. If they are 914 2L
they are a bit special. Larger valves and relocated spark plug angle.
Bill
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Well
It's RIP for this engine.
Bad engine 1.JPG
Cam is broken.
Bad Engine 2.JPG
Lifter socket destroyed
Bad engine 1.JPG
Finger sized hole just below the lifter.
What a drag.

Moving forward what do you think the chances are of finding half a case?
blue71

Post by blue71 »

That looks painful.

Case halves are machined for one another. Sourcing a case half is not the best of ideas because they won't match up very well. I can ask if the 3 or so T4 cases are still around at the aircooled shop out here in Omaha that went out of business and get a price if you want.

Please don't toss the case though, I may be able to find a secondary decorative use for it when I'm east again.

Edit: I just sent you a text message. The T4 cases are $100ea and should be good. The guy taking care of the final closing can still ship and take credit cards.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
Mike Kever Kombi

Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Avoid the craigslist 1800 unless that's the only case you can find, (1800 internals... yuck) I have a OK 2 liter case that I can give you, buy a NEW camshaft! type 4 cams wear out due to the lifter geometry (and sometimes they break)....