My 72 Transporter

Ryan70VW

My 72 Transporter

Post by Ryan70VW »

Hey everyone! I'm Ryan. I've met a handfull of you at Basils and in Vermilion on 3rd Thursdays. I bought a 72 transporter deluxe in July last year. I have had dibs on it for almost 10 years from a good family friend. I was always told it wasn't theirs to sell (long story) until recently. It had sat in the same spot with flat tires and no gas. Before that it sat in Deitzels (sp?) in Avon for some work although no one knows what was done there except it was able to be driven to where it sat. It sat at Deitzels for a debatable 2-4 years depending who you talk to.

When I finally got the call saying that it was available we negotiated a price and I got the title changed over. I went to check it out. I never had the chance to look at anything on it except looking from underneath because there was always stuff in the way. I knew the floors were solid from what I could see. Got it cleaned out and found it had a progressive center mount carb :roll:
I changed the fuel lines and filter. Bought a battery, checked over some things, put some gas in it and it fired right up! A little adjusting and was able to get it to idle decently. Drove up and down the street a few times. Felt very sluggish compared to the beetle but ok. the brakes were great! The tires were dry rotted pretty bad but should make it home. After some test runs I decided drive it to a friends house a few miles away and towards home. Halfway there the front tire was grabbing so hard I couldnt force the engine to push it off the side of the road. Luckily I was sticking to side streets, removed the tire and found the double piston calipers were not releasing properly. I took it apat and removed the pads and clamped off the hose, and continued on my way.
Almost there and a got a flat :? I had a spare and forgot to check the pressure on that one. My buddy took it and pumped it up for me. The flat was from dry rot that just split open.
Made it to my friends and then home a little later. Without any more issues :D

I wasn't able to do a lot at first because my now wife and I were planning and paying for our wedding. I was able to remove all the flex brake lines and replace and completely tear down the calipers and clean and put back together. The pads are like new and the brake pad backing plates are still there! Now the brakes grab and release great! I cleaned tons of garbage and stuff out. No mice nest or chewed wires just a bunch of stuff. The bus did have a very smokey( think beef jerky) smell though. I found a bin full of spices and smoke flavor and beef jerky recipe books. I Painted the rear passenger floor with masterseries silver after cleaning everything up and it seems to seal very well. there wasnt much rust in the rear. No holes at least. There are some areas that need to be patched in the front but nothing that i would be scared of to take on by myself. I also need to replace all the window seals. That are all shrunk back a few inches.

I plan on setting up the rear as a bed and jump seat with a table. Like a weekender. I know this has been a little long winded and random at times, but I love my bus and I plan on posting some pictures after i set up a photobucket and such. I have a 70 beetle as well that i have had for 7 years or so. I used to have a 68 beetle in highschool too. So im not new to VWs but the bus is a bit different. Hopefully i can post some pics within the next couple days.
72 Transporter (project weekender)
70 Beetle
and a few other things with motors

SlashKirk

Re: My 72 Transporter

Post by SlashKirk »

Welcome Ryan!

You can never go wrong when your bus smells like jerky :lol:
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Welcome Ryan. Sounds looks the first drive was an adventure. Seems the first thing that you may need is tires.
Bill
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Congrats and welcome. If you have time and some extra cash, Jim's is coming up next weekend, and you should be able to pick up bits needed on the cheap.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Hey Ryan! It was great to meet you at Vermillion! And Im happy to see you on the site. You embody the "rolling project" perfectly!!! I love it!
The Rick Lang
Marla

Post by Marla »

Welcome Ryan! What a great story.

I am glad you made it to Vermillion, maybe we will see you at Jim's swap meet next weekend.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
sweeth20007

Post by sweeth20007 »

Great story Ryan! Looking forward to meeting all 3 of you!
My first bus was a 1972 also!
Mike Noble
Ryan70VW

Post by Ryan70VW »

Ok, I'm back! Ive been so busy with work and other things. I started a photobucket this morning so Ill see how that goes.
Wwebner- I bought some tires after looking around for a bit and settled for the general grabber because i wanted something more aggressive. I love the look!
Mike- I could really some some different parts too bad i didnt see your post earlier.
70 Beetle

Ryan70VW

Post by Ryan70VW »

Hopefully this will work. If it does, this is where the bus sat for 5 years or so.
70 Beetle

Ryan70VW

Post by Ryan70VW »

Here is where i had trouble with the brakes and removed the pads

Finally home!

Theres the tub with all the jerky stuff and other misc things the bus came with.

Heres a before and after pic of how grimey it was. The whole bus looked like this on the inside!

Shunken window seals

Cleaned and masterseriesed
70 Beetle