Super Convertible

NIKLES1974

Super Convertible

Post by NIKLES1974 »

I JUST HAD A NICE TALK WITH BRUCE AMACKER AND HE SAID TO CONTACT AND JOIN THE LEAKOIL GROUP. I'M THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF MY 1974 SUPER BEETLE CONVERTIBLE. I BOUGHT IT FROM VW CENTRAL IN INDEPENDENCE, OHIO (NO LONGER IN BUSINESS). IT IS ALL ORIGINAL AND HAS ONLY BEEN DRIVEN 43,000 MILES. ITS BEEN STORED AWAY IN MY GARAGE SINCE 1986, COVERED UP AND NEVER TOUCHED SINCE THEN. I'M PLANNING TO PASS IT ON TO MY SON SOME DAY SO I WANT TO GET MY CAR GOING AGAIN AND LOOKING "BRAND NEW". I HOPE TO MEET WITH BRUCE SOON. HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF MY CAR AND LOOK FOWARD TO GET TO KNOW SOME OF YOU SOON. THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE, NICHOLAS

VW SPORT WHEELS FOR RESTORING 007.JPG
VW SPORT WHEELS FOR RESTORING 004.JPG
BACK TO NORTH ROYALTON 011.JPG
74 VW 001.JPG
74 VW 005.JPG
74 VW 015.JPG
74 VW 017.JPG
BACK TO NORTH ROYALTON 009.JPG
NICHOLAS ALLCAPS
1974 BRILLIANT ORANGE SUPER BEETLE CONVERTIBLE
ALLCAPS IS MY FONT !
Dual Port

Re: MY FIRST POST

Post by Dual Port »

I stopped over at Nick's to check out this SB vert and it's a virgin. No hit, no real rot anywhere that I can see (unless the headlight areas go through), pan looks perfect, 43K original miles, original owner with all documents, he traded in a '71 bus on it for $2200. The doors work perfect, the tire tub and strut towers are perfect, and it doesn't need a lot. It's been parked 30 years so the tank, fuel system and brakes will be fugly but not much else.

I'll help him get it running when my work slows down a bit, he was talking full resto but I think I talked him out of this. I'd pull the fenders, sandblast the rust spots and hood, and shoot the fenders and hood off the car. The OEG fenders are probably good to go as long as the HL buckets don't go through. The front apron area and sides needs some spot blasting but I'd spot paint those and blend them. The door jambs are beautiful, not even surface rust. The majority of the body I'd leave with the original paint on it and buff it, I think it will look great. The car is too nice for a full resto, I think it would be money wasted. Bill needs to do the seats because when you sit in them you can feel the springs. (40K? WTF?!) The top looks nice but we'll see how that pans out in the long run. He bought a set of Sun Bug wheels for it that he'll have blasted and put on.

Welcome to LO, Nick! Do you have any pics of your old busses?

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
wwebner

Re: Super Convertible

Post by wwebner »

Looks pretty darn nice. Not a lot of original owner cars of that vintage. I think Bruce is spot on in his opinion of approaching the fix up.
Bill
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Welcome Nick,

I will just add my voice to the chorus of preservation, not restoration.

That is a mighty fine automobile you have there.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Very nice!

Here's pictures of my '78
mg5.JPG
maggie.JPG
2000 Rialta
1978 Beetle Convertible
THINGE

Post by THINGE »

My 1979 Super Beetle. Original paint, original engine. FI works flawlessly.

1966 VW 13 Window Deluxe Bus
1974 VW Thing (2)
1977 VW Westfalia
NIKLES1974

Post by NIKLES1974 »

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND PICTURES. I JUST PICKED UP THE SPORT WHEELS THAT WERE POWDER COATED BASED ON THE REFERRAL FROM BRUCE A. AND BILL W. MARK BROWN DID A GREAT JOB, THEY CAME OUT PERFECT. I'M GOING TO START TO ORDER SOME NEW PARTS SOON AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO START WORKING ON THE CAR IN EARLY NOVEMBER. I WANT TO HAVE BOTH BUMPERS RECHROMED (SEE PICTURE) - - ANY ONE HAD THIS KIND OF WORK DONE CLOSE BY? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Attachments
PICTURES FOR PARTS 029.JPG
PICTURES FOR PARTS 008.JPG
PICTURES FOR PARTS 006.JPG
PICTURES FOR PARTS 004.JPG
NICHOLAS ALLCAPS
1974 BRILLIANT ORANGE SUPER BEETLE CONVERTIBLE
ALLCAPS IS MY FONT !
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Nick, it was nice to meet you in person, and hear your stories of your adventures in your old VeeDubs

Looking forward to seeing the completion of this project, and if you have Bruce at the helm, you are in good hands.

Now go buy a bus :)
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Marla

Post by Marla »

It was nice meeting you last night Nick... welcome to the club!

You should take a day trip out to Kelly's, just to see the camping experience. I guaruntee you will get bitten by the camper bug and will be joining us next year.... :D
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

X's 3 on the preservation. That's in very good original condition. Thanks for sharing, i'm sure you're son will love the new car!