1967 Sea Blue

Busjunky

Re: 1967 Sea Blue

Post by Busjunky »

heyed67 wrote:I've got a single circuit master, no backup lights...production date 8-18-66 but mcode # 425 calls for these upgrades..
wwebner wrote:"Dual circuit braking and reversing lights were standard on some export models (mainly US)". I think the key word is "SOME"
My code is 430. Regardless i think it looks better with out them :)
heyed67

Post by heyed67 »

I agree looks way better without... :ugeek:
Ken

Post by Ken »

wwebner wrote:"Dual circuit braking and reversing lights were standard on some export models (mainly US)". I think the key word is "SOME"
Exactly. :) Eccles further states. "Some anomalies in specification that may be found are often due to parts from previous model years still being fitted in the first few weeks of a new model year". Those Germans didn't believe in wasting very much.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Busjunky wrote:Did you use the german internals with the Chinese housing? Or did you just completely rebuild it once you got it? That's a really good price for a dual. They really stick it to ya on the one year only parts :/

I used the supplied parts. My inspection was just not by eyeball, I work for an OE brake manufacturer and have an inspection lab at my disposal.

I would not use any NOS rubber brake parts unless they were stored wet. I got a few rebuild kits for the front cylinders from Rock Auto and they were fresh and super inexpensive, $15 for all 4 fronts.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Well i got it home and it has early dash, dual circuit brakes and no reverse lights. Like everything else i get a deal on it has more rust then i was lead to believe. The fresh air vent/front roof has some rust and will need replaced. Last night i ordered a front floor, both inner rockers, outer cargo floor and cargo door rocker. I figure if i just replace the front floor and do the mechanicals, theres no reason why i can't drive it while I work on the rest. Over all its in fair shape. Nothing's to far gone.
Attachments
image.jpg
TRL

Post by TRL »

Look at that sexy thing!
The Rick Lang
heyed67

Post by heyed67 »

Awesome dude...:-)
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

TRL wrote:Look at that sexy thing!
Bus looks good too
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

Thanks every one! The roof ordeal has got my thoughts all twisted. The orginal paint was the seller for me on this one, but the roof in the front is bad, real bad. Also all along the roof there was mice nest. Those nest got water logged and the whole upper walls/inner roof line is in poor shape. The exterior of the bus looks pretty good despite the inner rust. I sourced a donor roof that happened to be a sea blue bus. I dont want to cut the bus up :( I was thinking that i could repair the front enough to seal out the weather and use old license plates to cover the holes and give it more character. As you may or may not know im plenty capable of doing a roof swap, but im in this all original stage right now. Im kind of torn, actually. There's bullet holes all down the drivers side. I think its cool as shit and i plan to fill them from the inside and leave them for their effect. There's quite a few dents and scratches too. All of which im leaving. I got the dent out as best i could from the lower nose tonight. I used a football and wedged it inbetween the headlight support and nose then inflated it. It popped out for the most part. It was dusk when i did it so no pics. Last night i gave it a bath and buffed it out with 3m rubbing compound. I needed some bonding time with it because the roof thing has kinda spoiled my bus buzz. After getting the shine out again i had a little smile on my face. Sea Blue is a really cool color. Here's a look at the roof damage.
Attachments
roof rot.jpg
roof rot.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Last edited by Busjunky on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Busjunky

Post by Busjunky »

The paint all cleaned up.
Attachments
buff.jpg
buff.jpg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 1610 times