Trailmix Beetle

trailmix

Re: Trailmix Beetle

Post by trailmix »

All super good info. Thank you very much. Especially the auxiliary fuse off the battery. Looks like a 12V conversion is the way to go.
I am not going too crazy with the motor. I just want it to be somewhat reliable and able to drive it most days that I don't need the truck.

Side note: I am a huge bicycle guy. I found out the hard way that none of my bikes fit in the Beetle without completely taking them apart or removing the passenger seat. Looks like a bike rack is in store for "Rusty".
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

trailmix wrote:I'm well into the doors now and the new parts are on the way. Excited to make some progress. Even had the wife out in the garage to help with the removal of the door handles and window crank. The front end work and drop spindles will be done tonight....finally....

I have been talking to a few folks and one of them is saying to just go with the 12V conversion, get rid of the points, condenser and upgrade the distributor. Sounds good.....?

I ran the engine numbers and the chart says I have a 1966 Beetle with a 1500 engine. I also have a 28PICT carb that seems not to match the original set up?

CBPerformance sells a 12V conversion but says nothing about fuses having to be replaced. Do I need to replace the fuse box with the upgraded 12V system?

Thank you oh wise ones...
Just a note:Don't trust the engine #s on a 49 year old motor. Odds are that it was rebuilt at some point.If so,most likely with 85.5mm pistons/cylinders(1600) as they slip in with no machine work and that was the standard rebuild on 1500. Not that it matters much. However,when you do your 12V conversion,BE SURE to change the instrument bulbs,that is the oil pressure and Gen bulbs. If you don't,the 6V ones will burn out as soon as you turn the motor over with 12V alt,rendering you oil pressure warning system inoperable. More important,in an alternator system,the gen lite is part of the circuit. The alternator will not function (charge) without this lite in the circuit.
Bill
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Some pics of the beetle in the garage and some progress. I'm not good at documenting like some of you. Love to see the progress pics.
Attachments
After the drop in the front. Garage is super small and you can only step back so far....
After the drop in the front. Garage is super small and you can only step back so far....
The interior is coming along with no end in sight. The priority list is becoming a jumbled mess. Oh well, at least I'm making progress.
The interior is coming along with no end in sight. The priority list is becoming a jumbled mess. Oh well, at least I'm making progress.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Bought new window regulators with the door rubber kits. I have been working on the passenger door for a while now. What a learning experience. I completely ruined the brand new regulator last night trying to get the window to crank up and down. What I'm finding out is that the new felt and scrapers really make a tight fit. The window has a hard time going up and down. The felt in the wing window won't stay in place so I had to use some adhesive to get it to stay in place and not move with the window.
Luckily I kept the original regulator. Degreased the snake and lubed it up. It seems to be working much better than the new one and I think I might have the door almost finished.
I should be real good at doors once this is done.
One more door to go, and after learning how the process works, the drivers door will be much easier.
SlashKirk

Post by SlashKirk »

Windows always seem to be a biotch on VW's....keep up the work ;)
1961 Swivel Seat Kombi
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have also learned (the hard way), and I'm sure many others have, that original factory parts (even used) usually work better than aftermarket.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Ken wrote:I have also learned (the hard way), and I'm sure many others have, that original factory parts (even used) usually work better than aftermarket.
SO TRUE!! ^^^^ I bought the complete door rubber kit that included both window regulators. After the passenger door regulator broke while installing it, NOW the drivers door regulator is not lining up with most of the holes in the door......looks like I am going to use BOTH original regulators. What a waste of money and time, but at least I've learned that original parts are so much better.

We are dropping off the seats and door cards to a friend that is doing the upholstery. After all that shopping and trying to figure out colors and styles from all the distro's, I am leaving it up to him to do something super cool. When we get it back, I will post some pics.

Another note. The Speed Roof product that I've been using to sound deaden the interior seems to be working great! I thought for sure that it would fall off after being so cold in the garage but there is no sign of the product coming off. The rubber backing is not as sticky as you would think it should be when you remove the backing. I hang the cut piece of material in front of the heater to activate the material and it really gets sticky.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

We went down to see Mike and his upholstery shop to drop off the seats and door cards. We came up with a custom pattern for the interior and got to pick out the material that will be used. What a cool shop!! He had all kinds of projects going on. He had some newer truck bench seats, barber chair, Buick Grand National front seats and some "cruiser" motorcycle seats. Mike is a great guy that is a second generation of family upholsterers.
He also had a cool selection of snakeskin, alligator and ostrich (faux or course, don't call PETA) material for complete or partial design. We were very impressed with his work but we wanted something simple. We decided to do the seats in red textured vinyl with a two white stripes offset on one side.
This is the first time that we've ever had upholstery done. We were super nervous but Mike was very helpful and made us feel comfortable about our decision.
Yes, I know its not original but I just can't stand the basketweave design.
Give Mike a call if you have a project that needs done.
Attachments
IMG_0627.JPG
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Rolled the car out of the garage this morning to get a good look at how it sits after the drop spindles. I can already tell that an alignment is necessary even though I thought I had it dialed in. I used a product on the exterior called Patina Preserver from Eastwood. Not sure if I'm using it right so I will read the directions again. I think I am ready for the interior to be put back in. I'm sure something is missing. Really excited to get it back on the road.
How many days until spring????
Attachments
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Another view from the other side.
Attachments
IMG_0630.JPG