Trailmix Beetle

wwebner

Re: Trailmix Beetle

Post by wwebner »

Dual Port wrote:
trailmix wrote: electronic ignition is going in as soon
I converted two of mine to electronic and noticed zero difference in how they ran. One I converted back, I would have changed the other also but it was a dist assembly (Pertronix brand) and probably not point compatible.
I have run pertronix for years. Bruce is correct,you will not notice a difference in the way it runs. What you will notice is that from the time you install it your "tune" will never change.
that is your timing and dwell will remain constant unlike breaker/points which begin to wear as soon as you install them which begins to slowly change your timing. This happens gradually and you don't notice until you do your routine maintainance tune up and put a timing lite on it and re adjust your timing and re gap your points,then discover how much better it runs.
Bill
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

image.jpeg
a friend and I went to rescue some VW parts from a garage in Ashland today. The start of a new engine for the beetle starts today. Heads, case, rods and lots of assorted parts to start the journey to a fresh build.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

Look at you go.

If that case checks out, I would build that in to your "daily driver" motor. Pull the one that's in there now, throw it on a shelf, and use that as your "back up"

Ashland is a lot closer than Ontario, if I recall correctly.

Nice find Keith. I think you will find, that's how things usually work In The VW world ;)
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

If that's your crank on the table,it looks like a counterweighted one :) sweet.
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

The rear main on that case looks nice, no wear visible in the pic. WTF! How come you didn't have to massacre 4 motors like I did to find one!

Looks good, have you decided on what's going inside? Stock 1600 or something fun?

:)
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Actually, we're not exactly sure what to use yet except the heads. The two German cases are in excellent shape and the one is checking out to be a rare find.
He may sell a lot of the parts on the Samba in favor of gathering better ones new but the parts are in super good shape.
Mild daily driver is the focus.
I learned a lot about super high performance VW power today. The pic of the case is NOT mine! The pic of the engine bay is my current set up.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mike Kever Kombi

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that braided fuel line.

I have some of the correct line in small quantities.

https://www.belmetric.com/rhm5-flennor- ... ath=14_662
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Working on the steering column today with a steering wheel resto and wanted to fix or replace the headlight dimmer switch. After watching a few videos, I thought I had it down pretty good. Well I did but it seems that mine is a little different. I got it apart and was mocking up the reassemble to make sure I knew where everything goes. I guess I moved everything a little too much and broke off the left arm that holds a spring connected to the right arm. Well, it seems there is no fixing it unless someone has a brilliant idea. These assemblies are VERY expensive and buying one right now is not in the cards. I'm looking for some help.

It's the post that is on the bottom left of the pic. The one on the right has an arm attached to it. It's riveted on.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Mike Kever Kombi

Call me and/or bring it over this weekend if you have time. I can see if I have anything in my pile, or we can see what we can do to make it work until such time that a new assembly is in the cards.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1975 Westfalia

trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Hey Now! Bruce gave me a call and invited me to his VW kingdom to check out my problem. Talk about service. Thanks Mike for the offer as well. You guys are super awesome.
It didn't look good because there wasn't enough of the pot metal post to do anything with. So the decision was made to grind the post down to drill and tap for a screw. All went very well and Bruce saved the day. I will continue to resto the rest of the switch cluster and steering wheel and reassemble tomorrow.
The pic is what it looks like now. I don't think the screw head is going to be in the way of anything. It is very solid and will hopefully last a long time.
Attachments
image.jpeg