Trailmix Beetle

trailmix

Re: Trailmix Beetle

Post by trailmix »

Drove down to Clinton OH to visit a long time friend Mike Johnson (Russ Upholstery) to install the headliner. Although he builds custom interior for all kinds of cars, motorcycle, boat and commercial business, headliners are not on his priority but I talked him into helping me with it. We had some problems with the back window install (wrong seal) and the chrome molding on the quarter windows so that will have to be done again. I will have to take the car to a window pro to get it done right. Not having the chrome molding seems to make a big difference in the look.
I also picked up the rest of the interior while I was there. It really looks awesome!!! I can't wait to get everything installed and clean.
I only got a few pics of the process because we literally didn't stop moving until it was done. I did have to make one call to JBugs for some info on the pieces that were included in the headliner kit.
Now off to start the interior install.
Attachments
IMG_2934[1].JPG
IMG_2933[1].JPG
IMG_2932[1].JPG
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Get a hold of Lurch(Young Dan) for all your window needs
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

I finally found the ghost that's been living in Keith's Beetle, and it's my fault. The power feed to the VR has been suspect all the time but not failed at a time when I could check it. Keith said at times the car would die and have only 6v available at the VR but most of the time would be fine, but unfortunately I could not duplicate the concern. I had him come down to the shop for some thorough testing of this circuit, I connected a headlight (2 amp draw) to the circuit and it was fine so I connected a blower motor (9 amp draw) to the circuit for some voltage drop testing. With the blower motor connected I was only getting .11v drop on the circuit which is just fine. I jacked the car, put it on a stand, removed the 13mm nut on the starter and power feed located there which feeds the VR. It looked fine visually and was tight to the touch when pulled so I thought it was OK. When reinstalled and loaded again the power dropped out to the MaxiFuse holder! I thought it was a problem in the fuseholder itself but it turned out to be a problem at the crimp eyelet I installed on the 10ga at the starter. As I moved the wire around on the eyelet the blower motor quit working!

A few months ago my hardware bins were getting low so I had Fastenall refill all of them. I asked for regular crimp connectors with heat shrink tubing and that's what most of them were. Unfortunately they crossed part numbers on one terminal, giving me a low temp solder terminal with heat shrink instead of a crimp terminal. I've always hated the low temp solder connectors and seen troubles with those before because they are built to be heated and the solder melts before the shrink tube does, supposedly connecting the wire and eyelet with a great soldered joint and heat shrink around it. Unfortunately, you cannot visually confirm the solder melts because the tubing has shrank. Visually they look almost identical unless you look into the inlet area. I had assumed I was using a crimp connector and crimped it, and only heated it enough to shrink the tube. Had I heated it more, the solder "might" have melted and not had a problem, but I assumed it was the crimp connector I paid for.

Once I replaced the connector I'm sure this problem is behind us.

This is the eyelet I'm talking about with the 10ga red wire that feeds the VR on the right. The wire on the left is the starter trigger.

This is the other end of that wire that feeds the MaxiFuse and VR.

These are my bins of insulated terminals, I have 3 more bins of non-insulated terminals.

These eyelets look the same at a glance and even have the same writing on the insulation....

Until you look into the inlet and see the one on the left is not a crimp but has a small piece of solder foil in it. :roll:

Here's the bastard that I cut open to find the solder not melted and arc marks where it was breaking connection.

My bad, but I'm going to bitch up a storm to Fastenall. I don't know if they were mis-boxed or mis ordered, but you know I'll be looking at every frigging connector I use the rest of my frigging life.... :roll:

As for the amp load on this circuit I have a oscilloscope capture somewhere from my Ghia years ago when I was curious about the exact amp load on this wire. A long time ago I checked it with an amp clamp to see what the load is, but a scope is more accurate as it catches quick spikes better. About 5 years ago I used my low amp clamp and a PicoScope to find the load was under 10a and spiked to about 28a for a few milliseconds when the starter was engaged. That's why I've always used a 40a fuse without issues. I could use an ATO (smaller automotive style fuse) but never liked those on higher amp loads, so I've always used a MaxiFuse on this circuit because I like overkill.

As for the VR that was replaced, it's probably good but we'll leave it alone. I used an air grinder to not only sand off the paint on the body but also the bottom of the VR where it mounts, it was all perfectly clean bright metal when inspected. I used self drillers to mount the VR but put the last torque on them by hand because the drill will frequently strip them out if you're not careful. Even if Keith could move the VR under pressure because I didn't tighten then screws tight enough I doubt highly it was not properly grounded.

Live and learn. :| Pity the poor bastard at Fastenall when I go in there. :evil:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

I just came across this photo that I took of Dual Port's secret den of VW sins. The level of detail that Bruce put into his bus is amazing. The level of detail that I took in the paint on my beetle is disgraceful.....anyway, been putting some good miles on the car and even took a good ride down the interstate yesterday. It was actually pretty smooth and fairly quiet now that most of the interior is in. I will be strapping the mountain bike to the top today and going for a rip in Strongsville. Thanks to Yakima Racks for the hook up.
Attachments
2015-04-29 19.19.37.jpg
2015-04-23 15.46.44.jpg
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

trailmix wrote:Thanks to Yakima Racks for the hook up.
EP is always nice for things like that. 20+ years in the biz here.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

toolbox wrote:

In the Mountain Bike biz?
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

trailmix wrote:
toolbox wrote:

In the Mountain Bike biz?
Pre-index shifting, purple ano and Suntour still made awesome parts. I have what I like to call 30+ years in the transportation industries, between automotive testing and bicycles. Bike Shop for college then moved on to work for Nuke Proof and SlingShot on the west side of the state during my time at GVSU and currently called in when needed to work the floor or catch up on repairs or builds in the evenings.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

We took Rusty out for a spin after the rains. We had a plan to get the car to the point of driving it this summer. We are so glad that the plan is working out so far. We decided to get some photos of the car on a nice sunny day. The interior is all done but the total project is still undecided. Thanks to my wife for the photos.
Attachments
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

trailmix wrote:The interior is all done but the total project is still undecided.
If the car is running and driving good, and the interior is finished, what it there left to decide?

Are you gonna ruin the car by squirting it with shiny red paint?

Car looks beautiful as it sits. Go out, drive it, enjoy it. Repeat. Your work here is done.
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

I agree Mike. But there are other things that I would love to do. Paint is not one of them unless the surface rust starts to get worse, then I will have to address it somehow. I am not planning on doing any sort of project that takes the car off the road this summer or next.
We will see all of you this Saturday at the Spring Metroparks Cruise!