Trailmix Beetle

trailmix

Re: Trailmix Beetle

Post by trailmix »

I bought the top coat POR 15 this time around in gloss black. I prepped all the surfaces very well but the top coat POR 15 didn't go on very well. I have a feeling that you need to use a new brush or one that has no other residue on it, even the acetone used to clean the brush. It didn't cover like the silver POR 15 that I've used in the past. I was a little disappointed. I coated it twice and used some rattle can black to cover it up and make it more even. I will give the top coat one more try with a new brush.
Most of the POR 15 I've used in the past has been on the chassis with little or no UV exposure. Although, there is some on the body that seems to be in good shape so far.
The next project is to seal the patina on the body with a matte clear. I've got a lot of prep to do on that project and I'm trying to keep all the glass in tact and just tape it all up. I did a few spots underneath with the gloss clear and it just looks WAY too shiny.
I'm having a blast working on the car this year. I've learned so much in the little time we've owned the car. Of course, I am learning by mistakes but I am getting way more confident and understanding how it all works. And, the garage is getting dialed in which makes it easier to tackle projects with the right tools.
Attachments
IMG_3417.JPG
Marla

Post by Marla »

Way to go Keith!

Learning is the best part. Keep it up, it's looking great.
It's Marla with an " L"
(My list of assets is just too long...)
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

Volkzbitz fresh!
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Cool! Did you send yours out or buy one off the shelf?
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

I bought one off the shelf. The carb that is currently on the car is a 28PICT 1, I purchased the 30 PICT 1. I have learned that it's not a bad idea to have a back up. And it will give me a chance to go through the old one. It really looks great, Tim does a nice job.
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

With the new carb, there is a new connection that I didn't have before. I remember Tim suggesting a power circuit because of the engine being a 1500 and a late 66. Is this just a simple wire from the coil to the power circuit that I need to assemble and plug in?
image.jpg
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

Yes, that's an idle solenoid that cuts fuel so the car won't "run on" or diesel after the key is turned off. Run a wire from the hot side of the coil to it. On OEG setups it's a "Y" shaped wire that comes from the coil, to the solenoid, and to the choke coil heater.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
trailmix

Post by trailmix »

The carb was successfully installed and fired right up!!! Although I think a small adjustment to the air/fuel mix might be in order.
I believe that the timing needs to be checked first then the carb can be tweaked?
The valves have recently been adjusted and the electronic ignition is going in as soon as I can swindle a coil with a 3ohm resistance.
Thanks for all the help!!
Dual Port

Post by Dual Port »

trailmix wrote: electronic ignition is going in as soon
I converted two of mine to electronic and noticed zero difference in how they ran. One I converted back, I would have changed the other also but it was a dist assembly (Pertronix brand) and probably not point compatible.
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus