Big Orange

Remark

Big Orange

Post by Remark »

Well, I'm the one who bought Cate's orange Westy. Got it home Saturday. Not sure if it's worth saving or not, but I'm going to try. First priority will be to replace the bottom slider track! Door fell off as soon as I touched it! Looking for any help on this I can find. I'm willing to try the rest of the body work, but I don't want to mess this part up. Looking for a good welder to take care of this part, I'll do the rest!
Attachments
bigorange.jpg
Those that are easily offended and can't understand sarcasm shouldn't try to talk to me!!!
71 Westy
73 Bug (the wife's)
toolbox

Re: Big Orange

Post by toolbox »

My word of advice is to find a slider track from a donor. Ask Matt Keith how sweet it was installing the aftermarket part he bought.
blue71

Post by blue71 »

My 68 is getting a donor section grafted in. Dave said he will measure many times and cut once, or drill out all the spot welds and put it in piece by piece.

His experience on his panel was similar to Matt's.
Nick a.k.a. Parts-whore, Young Nick, Subwoofer Nick, Nebraska Nick, Doc, the Amish connection.

Now: 1967 bug, 68 westy, 70 bus, 70 westy, 70 bug (FS), 71 westy, 71 bug
Past: 58 bug, 66 bug, 68 bug, 68 westy, 71 super, 74 super
chuckspence

Post by chuckspence »

Matt my butt, I did most of the work on his sliding door track, and what we learned is that either get the section from a donor bus or be willing to make your own sliding door track, the inner rocker Matt bought from Bus Depot was a OE VW item and was absolutely perfect, the outer rocker was the same quality, the problem was the center section with the door track, it was a Just Kampers (from Bus Depot) reproduction and although the quality was excellent it just wasn't the correct item for the job, it only resembled the original metal in size and overall shape, but was missing the correct channel for the door roller, maybe Just Kampers supplied Bus Depot with the correct part for use in GB on the right side of of bus, but in GB the sliding door is on the left side, and perhaps Bus Depot didn't know the difference....