Trials and Tribulations of the Orange Booger. A pile of bad choices, 2nd hand parts, and a large pile of beer bottles

ohiowesty

Re: Trials and Tribulations of the Orange Booger.

Post by ohiowesty »

Pics with Boogs's heart and humans. Engine surgery by Chuck. Well, more like dentistry
WP_20160922_19_24_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20160922_19_49_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20160922_19_50_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20160922_19_57_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20160922_20_11_34_Pro.jpg
Mike Kever Kombi

Post by Mike Kever Kombi »

TRL wrote:This thread is a pile of bad choices, 2nd hand parts, and a large pile of beer bottles. I also absolutely love it :)
This is so my new title for the thread
Mike

1961 Microbus

1971 Super Beetle (1302s)

1975 Westfalia

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer.

I like my water filtered through a bed of grains, cleansed by yeast, and preserved with hops.
Kooper271

Post by Kooper271 »

Dual Port wrote:
Kooper271 wrote:Bruce,

So you can break in the engine using propane on a stand? Or is that to just test the engine?
You can run it as long as you want on propane or NG- hours, days, months. I've worked on big backup generators that run regular spark engines on NG tapped from the wall to provide electricity in case of power failures to plants. Both propane and NG are very good fuels for spark engines- like I said, high octane, low emission, very clean burning. Gasoline is a very dirty fuel because it is liquid in its normal state and must be vaporized to burn. It has only a zillionth of a second to vaporize from the instant it leaves the tip of the fuel injector until the piston comes up and fires it. This is not enough time to properly vaporize gasoline hence the poor burn that equals high hydrocarbons (pollution). Then you need air injection, catalytic convertors and all kinds of added BS hung on the engine to burn the HC (unburned fuel) that wasn't properly vaporized because it didn't have enough time to vaporize. Obviously both propane and NG are already vapor (or vaporize instantly in atmospheric pressure) so the whole vaporization thing is virtually a mute point when dealing with propane/NG.

Yes, both propane and NG are great fuels for spark engines with little adjustment needed to run properly on a stand. Now if you want to drive it you'll need a propane/NG carburetor with load control (O2 feedback or vac signal) and things get very complicated very quickly. Also in a vehicle the safety thing gets out of hand because you're dealing with a pressurized gas and the gummint goes crazy with safety regulations because of lawyers. On an engine run stand you turn the valve while it's running to find too rich and too lean, and find a happy spot in between. They can run forever like that.

I ran out of gasoline one time years ago when I was doing mobile truck repair. I grabbed my acetylene torch, stuck the hose in the air cleaner of my slant six van and drove it to the gas station on acetylene. I've also run engines on ether, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and probably other things I can't think of to move them around in the shop. If you're working on a F700 dump with a gas engine, there's no pushing it around. If you want to be a real hillbilly, you can remove the carburetor, put a kitchen sponge on top of the intake manifold, soak it with gasoline, and run the engine that way too. I've done it. :lol:

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I don't know why I was confused because before I sold my landscaping business I considered converting all of my equipment to propane or NG.
Ken

Re: Trials and Tribulations of the Orange Booger. A pile of bad choices, 2nd hand parts, and a large pile of beer bottle

Post by Ken »

As an aside, I once had a GMC 3500 dump truck that ran on propane. It had over 100k miles on it when we pulled the valve covers. The rocker arms and oil galleries were like brand new not even a trace of sludge or dirt. Eventually I converted it back to gasoline because it was a pain in the butt to get the propane tanks filled.
1963 Single Cab
1964 Bowman & Sons Camper (Vegas Bus)
1966 Westy S0-42 Hardtop
1967 Westy SO-42 Pop Top
1968 Single Cab