1974 Double Cab Project

Dual Port

Re: 1974 Double Cab Project

Post by Dual Port »

Rob wrote: The breather hose to the oil filler neck was missing and the closest one I could find at the local auto parts store was this radiator hose.
Not a big deal, but coolant hoses are usually EPDM which is not resistant to oil or oil vapor like neoprene is. Over a period of time that coolant hose will turn to mush, swell up and fall off. In your travels look for a suitable replacement, or ask at the FLAPS for a oil-compatible hose to fit like crankcase vent hose, fuel filler hose or (low pressure) hydraulic hose. Rubber and neoprene hoses are indistinguishable visually (except for the stampings) but they act much differently in the presence of oil.

:mrgreen:
Bruce Amacker
'66 Deluxe Bus
'65 Standard Bus
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the information Bruce. I am still on the lookout for something that will fit better and will keep what you said in mind. That explains a lot about the one that was on there from the previous owner, it was really soft and malleable. A piece of black PVC stuffed was inside it at one end to help keep it's shape in the bend.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Replaced the steering coupler last night so I could mount the steering column and ignition housing. Ran new wire for the horn which had been missing. Finished hooking up the emergency brake and put in the new floor mat. Still a lot of wiring to do. Ignition, emergency flasher, turn signals (not hooked up in photo) and headlights all work. Cannot get the taillight or brake lights to work yet.
Attachments
IMG_4985[1].JPG
IMG_4988[1].JPG
IMG_4987[1].JPG
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Should there be a ground jumper across the coupler?
Rob

Post by Rob »

You mean for the horn? I ran it through the hole in the shaft and then through the hole in the coupler and its secured by the nut underneath. Was not sure how it was originally routed.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rob wrote:You mean for the horn? I ran it through the hole in the shaft and then through the hole in the coupler and its secured by the nut underneath. Was not sure how it was originally routed.
There should be a short wire across the coupler. This grounds the upper shaft to the steering box/chassis. The horn might work, but not all the time because you are pulling ground through the steering bearings.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks, for catching that before I attached the turn signal, wiper switch and steering wheel. The way I attached the ground wire isolates it to the bearing which is encased in rubber and a terrible ground (It all seemed so clear at midnight :( .) If I understand correctly the ground wire coming through the steering shaft should attach at the point where the steering box is attached to the coupler, this way it is grounded through to the chassis. The other ground wire runs from the horn to the domed plate at the base of the steering column which when your press the horn ring completes the circuit. Please correct me if I am wrong.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
Rob

Post by Rob »

At Kelleys Island I got a chance to check out Chuck Spence's Late Model Bay Window Double Cab. Unfortunately I did not get to meet Chuck too but I hear he is on the mend and wish him a speedy recovery.

I was really interested to see the engine tin. The tin in my DC had been beat up over the years and required a bit of TLC. Looking at Chucks confirmed that I was not missing any tin, which is good because I understand it can be difficult to find. ( in metal at least). A lot of the screws were missing on mine so I replaced those and added some washers to provide a little added stability. I had hoped this would tighten up the tin, especially the rear piece, as it sagged well below the lip that supports the other side of the foam seal. Stress fractures and metal fatigue appear to have taken their toll over the years. I noticed two holes in the rear piece directly above the ends of the stock muffler. The stock muffler has a bracket on either side to attach the tail pipe to. This seemed to be a logical place to attach a support to lift the rear of the tin and keep it level with the foam seal lip. I know it is not stock but it does not look to bad and ended up working very well. I made the brackets out of steel and used stainless hardware to attach it to the muffler. Best of all I did not have to alter the muffler in anyway and was able to use holes already existing in the tin.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!