1974 Double Cab Project

wwebner

Re: 1973 Double Cab Project

Post by wwebner »

Ign. switch (term 50) is wired directly from starter term (50) directly,not fused. although,a fuse would be a good idea.. HL switch (term 30) is powered from ign switch (term 30) directly. HL's are fused after the HL switch (4 fuses, l,r and HB,l,r) VW started powering HL's after ign in 71,Porsche in 70. this was done so that when you turn off ign,HL's also go off. Can't accidentally leave HL's on.
Hope this helps.
Bill
Rob

Re: 1974 Double Cab Project

Post by Rob »

Thanks for your help.
So the wire from terminal 50 on the starter comes straight up to the ignition switch bypassing the fuse block. This appears to be the black and red striped wire that goes into the 8 terminal connector. Then a solid red wire goes from the ignition switch to terminal 30 of the headlight switch. Is that correct?
Last edited by Rob on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"
1968 Black Double Cab "The Black Pearl"
1970 Lotus White Single Cab "Big Tud"
1976 Sage Green Westfalia "Sweet Pickle"

They gotta' have names!
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Correct :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thank you again for you help. So reviewing the diagram for the ignition wiring it seems that the black and yellow wire goes from the switch to fuse #10 and the black wire goes to fuse #1. I cannot see where the brown and blue striped wire goes. I would think it is a ground. Is it a ground? if so where is it supposed to attach?
Attachments
wire.jpg
Last edited by Rob on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

don't see a brn/blu on my diagram. But,if it 31 from lite switch,follow it to the bottom track at the bottom of the diagram. should be a small circle with a # 11 is grnd connection on speedo. If it is brn and wht from term marked s it goes to s term on dimmer relay (J) on your diag.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified it is actually a wire coming from the ignition switch. The switch has 5 wires. The 1st 4 you helped me figure out, red/black to terminal 50, red to terminal 30, black and yellow to fuse #10 and black wire to fuse #1. I can't figure out where the brown/ blue striped wire goes.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Rob wrote:Sorry, I guess I should have clarified it is actually a wire coming from the ignition switch. The switch has 5 wires. The 1st 4 you helped me figure out, red/black to terminal 50, red to terminal 30, black and yellow to fuse #10 and black wire to fuse #1. I can't figure out where the brown/ blue striped wire goes.
Without looking at a diagram I am going to guess it goes to a second set of contacts on the drivers door switch and on to the key in buzzer.
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

The br/bl wire is not on my diagram either. However,there is a terminal on the ign switch (narrow blade,bott left in pic) that is labeled P. I will look at some supliment diagrams and see if I can fine anything.
IM003566.JPG
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thank you both for looking into this. Researching on the Samba last night I found a couple of references to the brown/ blue wire as being a ground for the key buzzer that is activated with the insertion of the key into the ignition. They also indicated that there some funny colored wires on Brazilian Switches even at times a 6th grey and black wire. I looked again at the switch I installed and it is German made (one I purchased from West Coast Metrics about 20 years ago). I still cannot find it on the diagram coming off the ignition switch though. Maybe it goes to the relay/ buzzer on the fuse block?
Last edited by Rob on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Beetle "Little Tud"

They gotta' have names!
wwebner

Post by wwebner »

Well,we hit submit at the same time :lol: Mine disappeared. Look at the 72 diagram. toolbox is prob correct and as I recall most times the narrow blade connectors are associated with door contact switches and interior lites and warning buzzers. If in doubt I think it would be fine to leave it off for now and see if buzzer and or interior lite works with door open,or warning buzzer works with ign on and door open. May want to leave it off anyway and not deal with annoying warning buzzer.